Stress levels are at an all-time high. As I was telling a friend, my sulk cycle goes like this: Silence with evident sullenness -> Shouting/blaming/talking back -> Final breakdown with endless crying.
I know what you're thinking - This is every woman! But anyway, I'm currently in the first stage and absolutely dreading what's to come next. Since this takes place atleast once a year, I know the future stages are virtually inevitable.
Two years ago when I got recruited by my current firm, I knew I would be shifting in two years time. And I was pretty chilled out till I realized time is closing in and I need to start applying all over again. Rejection, of all types, is my biggest fear. The interview process, the path leading to rejection hell. I have so many expectations from my potential employer that meeting them, though, may not be impossible, thoughts of self-doubt creep up every now and then that may lead to me giving up without even trying. And then I will see less deserving people land my dream job and I will huff and puff and tell myself it wasn't meant to be.
The number of hours I have spent talking about my industry of choice, Bombay as the only location under consideration and salary package that ensures that I don't live like a pauper in that pigeon-hole city as I pay my education loan EMIs, have been making me dizzy. While some friends instill hope of such companies existing and discuss the subsequent probability of my recruitment, others (looking at my desperation) simply ask me to compromise and drop one of the three conditions. Then there's the whole music thing, why am I not doing anything about it...blah...blah...I think I'll skip right to the third and final crying stage.
But it is this stress leading to additional stresses is what's really stressing me out. Say hello to weight gain and gray hair.
When a middle-aged man in your team asks you to start using the office gym, you know things are rather awry. The "getting healthy, winter style" doesn't bother me as much as possible health problems do. Lately my family has been plagued with all sorts of diseases and it's freaking me out. Cancer has quite literally spread like cancer and having closely seen three such cases in my immediate family, without any genetic history, trust me you wouldn't even wish it on an enemy. Gym and a healthy diet starts pronto. Maybe after I lick all the crumbs off this pizza box.
This is ridiculous. Now every time I look at the mirror, I look at my hair more than my face. Every day, around three times a day, I play Spot The Gray And Pluck It Out. A Zen-like state might help the cause to an extent, but you can't help thinking you're not getting any younger.
There are two solutions to this:
a) Start coloring hair as soon as the number of gray hair on the head surpasses the single digit count. The Salt and Pepper look may look hot on a guy, I seriously doubt the trend will extend to our species anytime soon.
b) Get married asap so there's no pressure to look young. Darling, let's grow old together.
Where marriage is a mortal fear (similar to rejection), coloring my hair seems like a worse idea. Do you even know what all one needs to do to take care of colored hair? Buy expensive shampoos, go for hair spas (which I am absolutely clueless about) then you slowly watch them get brittle and fall out eventually. Are you friggin mad? Marriage seems easy peasy in front of it.
God, I need a vacation.

12 comments:
"Rejection, of all types, is my biggest fear. The interview process, the path leading to rejection hell. I have so many expectations from my potential employer that meeting them, though, may not be impossible, but thoughts of self-doubt that creep up every now and then may lead to me giving up without even trying. And then I will see less deserving people land my dream job and I will huff and puff and tell myself it wasn't meant to be."
Same pinch.
I watch Gilmore Girls and eat when I go through this.
Hope the ride gets smoother sooner than later.
Talk about being stressed! My stress levels are sky high at this point of time :|
And vacation. Yes, I find myself saying that all round the year.
Whatever it is, this was a hilarious read btw. As always :D
God, I love what you write. Most probably because it's honest.
Hehe, but I hope you're not eating with those girls. They eat way too much junk takeout and don't pack on the pounds!
I have no doubt things will get better. The thing is - things have enough space to get worse, so I'm taking what I can get :)
What's like a really relaxing place to vacation in India, if I may ask? My friends and I zeroed in on Hampi in Karnataka. You can bicycle there and everything *dreamy, faraway look*
Oh the number of times honesty gets me into trouble XD And, thank you. This is heartening, truly.
there is a rumor, first think women think after marriage is "Now i can get FAT", is this true?
And
Shaadi ka card bhej dena ;)
Women don't purposely get fat, it's just that people stop trying to impress others. The same holds true for men, btw!
Shaadi ho teri! Hmph.
+1 Gogi. and also because you just put down what MOST of us are going through, atleast me (and a friend of mine)
Your life seems so similar to mine...same worries
same to same with the job thingie :( sniff sniff...how about dancing for staying healthy :D
So swit only. Now I'll vomit everything in my head.
Post a Comment
Now your turn!