Thursday, February 9, 2012

As I turn 27 in 3 days, I thought I'd look back at some of my most memorable birthdays.

1995
I can't remember much that happened on my birthday but I do remember the days leading up to it. I have mentioned my first crush in this post and how by sheer good luck he was my class partner that entire year.

You recall how as kids we could, for one day, dump our uniforms and don some jazzy clothes to school on our birthday? Yeah, so tragedy struck and about the same day as today, 17 years ago, my class teacher announced that the casual clothes were not allowed on birthdays from that day onwards. My entire world came crashing down (that happens rather often, doesn't it?). Only a day prior to that I had asked my crush what he thought I should wear - a pink frock or something else I fail to recall. I do remember asking him but not what he replied 'cause I'm sure it was something as inconsequential and very guy-like such as "I don't know" or "Whatever you like". However, the funniest part is that I was a 10 year old girl, asking a 10 year old boy, what I should wear to impress him (sounds like that dialogue from Notting Hill no? I LOVE that movie.) The year prior to that I made my parents buy me a dress for 500 bucks (and 500 bucks was big money back in '94) so maybe he would notice this white blob. Man, that guy was something. He drove me nuts. For 6 whole years.

But hold on, the worst part was, apparently the news had not yet been communicated to the entire school, as it turned out, the kids who shared their birthdays with me were wearing casual clothes while I stood there in the school assembly beating myself up for following the goddamn rules. 

2005
As luck would have it, I met with an accident two days prior to my birthday. Let me elucidate. I was riding pillion with a friend on a motorcycle when my right leg felt rather stiff on that foot pedal. So I decided to stretch my leg. When I was to keep my foot back on the pedal, I miscalculated and ended up putting my foot right between the spokes of the in-motion rear wheel. (Yeah, I know) Thankfully, no bones were broken but there was a massive soft tissue injury that left me invalid for 2 weeks and that would take 6 months to heal completely.

My bf tried to make it better by singing me happy birthday robot style at midnight but it could only do so much. During the day I fell asleep out of sheer depression/boredom. I was woken up by my mom only to see my room filled with my best friends! They got me a cake and gifts and no sympathies, only joy. That day is unforgettable. I'm sure my eyes welled up, and if they didn't they really should've.

2010
My MICA friends are quite possibly the closest people to my heart. Above my family and past friends (Don't judge me) They perhaps know me more than I know myself. So I wasn't surprised (but I was!) that at midnight my room was filled with chicken tikka, tandoori chicken, jello shots and as my gift, a carton filled with my favorite things to eat.



Unfortunately, my friends were tanking up on bhaang while I attended some other people who came to wish me and so some were in such a bad shape, they had to retire early. That was better than Ms Aditi clicking pics with a fictitious camera and asking us to pose for it. And after battling the wild cats in our hostel who were attacking all my chicken, we finally gobbled up all the food and hit the sack. But not before I wrote this.

2011
Last year's birthday was unexpectedly quite awesome. I have partially described it here. Besides that my family was surprisingly calm and everyone got along famously without any annoyance or fights. Quite possibly the perfect day, like packaged with care by a higher power.

This year is going to be regular thoroughfare from where I see it. But that ain't bad either. I meet a school friend after years and then there's the customary family dinner. Though I don't like to make my birthday a big deal, there's always a part of me that wants to be made feel special and if that doesn't happen I get pissed :P Here's to happy times. Cheers! (There'd better be alcohol involved)

7 comments:

madhur said...

happy bday in advance:P

Anonymous said...

"hough I don't like to make my birthday a big deal, there's always a part of me that wants to be made feel special and if that doesn't happen I get pissed :P"

This thing above, SO happens to me, ALL the time!

akansha said...

I think am falling in love with your blog..
Happy Birthday!!! :)
(P.S. got to know that you are my super-super senior at MICA)

Sujana said...

Happy Birthday!!

Unaccustomed Mirth said...

Belated birthday wishes Archita :) Hope you did have a great one!

"Though I don't like to make my birthday a big deal, there's always a part of me that wants to be made feel special and if that doesn't happen I get pissed :P" EXACTLY how I feel :P

Atrisa said...

@Madhur, Sujana - Thanks a lot :)

@Anon, Rini - We all have a little drama queen in us ;) I had a decent time till I fell terribly sick, and then I was just sniffling and watching Koffee With Karan (not the best way to cure an illness) But hey, there was brilliant food involved so I'm not complaining :)

@Akansha - Super Super Senior! Sigh. I'm old. Hehe, atleast someone is falling in love with anything related to me :P Stick around!

Note to self: Must write more MICA posts.

Unaccustomed Mirth said...

This birthday post made me realise that I've been reading your blog for two years now :) What a faithful stalker I make! :P

Post a Comment

Now your turn!

 

Copyright 2010 alter native.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.