Thursday, December 18, 2014

I was about a share on FB yet another article on rape/rape culture blah, blah and blah. I'm wondering if anything we do or say (scream) makes any sort of difference at all. Every day we have articles, pages and pages filled with feminist views; movies, songs on women empowerment and equality. Is it making any difference at all? Terrorism, genocide, religious fanaticism.. just so we could appeal to the humanity in every human being. Yet there are people who blame the woman...blame a country that suffered insurmountable loss...blame a religion...point the finger because it's the easiest thing to do. 

Sometimes I feel so useless, here I am being an armchair critic, watching world movies and taking pride in the little knowledge I gain, proudly bringing it up in a comfortable house party conversations every now and then. But these are people who are already sensitized, aware and know better. I wish I could say that I could affect a change by penning down my opinions as well, but I'm always too scared to be politically incorrect; there are wolves and trolls just waiting to prove you wrong, incapable, too extreme/coy or less knowledgeable than them. Maybe it's just something I've concocted in my head. As a result, I'm just a reader of convenience, hiding behind words of the limited authors who pen the most interesting headline.

It breaks my heart to read about violence, which is why I stopped reading the newspaper many years ago. Growing up in Delhi, TOI page 3 was always filled with rape and Vasant Kunj murder cases. Can't the news ever be positive?, I asked myself. And unfortunately, the news isn't getting any better with the years that have passed.

I wish there was a way I could help sensitize people who don't have access to rational thinking, people who believe war is never the answer because it only harms the innocent, people who believe reform must be considered and implemented before you announce a death sentence, (however heinous the crime), people who understand how ironical it is to suggest bombing a country to bring about peace, people who would rise up from popular belief and stop blaming the victim.

Support people who try to help, don't dismiss them. #Illridewithyou and #IndiaWithPakistan are making positive conversations and helping out people as we speak - in person or in spirit. It's easy to poke fun, call people attention-whores or follower-whores, but look beyond it.

And some people might not be as knowledgeable as you or share your opinion. Don't dismiss them either - teach them, try to reason with them. Maybe they will change YOUR mind. Pause, breathe and think.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Now your turn!

 

Copyright 2010 alter native.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.