I can hear the thoughts in my head.
The head that constantly worries about me being too old to
be in a band, trying to enter a scene that thrives on energetic, finicky kids
with ephemeral tastes. I was old 3 years ago, now I’m even older. But I don’t
wanna be one of them 40 year olds being told their best years are behind them,
but knowing that their best years never really happened. That’ll kill me. No
amount of other happiness in the world will be able to compensate for the loss,
the void I feel every single day I don’t pursue music. The truth is, I’m not
even as driven about it as I was a few years ago; but that doesn’t stop this
feeling of ready regret. Even if we crash and burn in 6 months, having
performed to public just twice (if we’re lucky), I’ll know I tried. So, I hope
I try.
I can hear the thoughts in my head.
About a year ago, I met a (sort of) ex after a long long
time at an event my team was organizing. You can say I was a little nervous, a
little apprehensive about how I’m gonna feel, what I’m gonna say. We’ve all
been there, right? I was actually shocked at how little I felt and cared when I
met him. This is the person I left my long-term relationship for. The person
who stole 2 years of my precious youth, making me wish every day that by some
dumb luck he’ll realize he made a mistake by not choosing me and will come
running into my arms. The person who inadvertently kept me chaste for a year
and a half! The person who’s responsible for the first 3 years of this blog. And
he’s standing there in front of me, reminiscing about the great times we had,
and I could only think about the number of tears I wasted. In that moment, I
was angry and, at the same time, wanted to laugh in his face. In that moment, I
was also thankful he made the difficult decision for me, for I wouldn’t have known this great life otherwise.
I dreamt about him a couple of months post that. It was the
first time I walked away from him, and not the other way round, like I had been
dreaming all the years before that. That morning has been one of my most freeing
experiences of my life. To know that your subconscious has finally let go of
someone you thought would haunt you for the rest of your life. This evening I
dreamt of him again, again being devoid of any feelings. I’ve had other exes
too, but none I cared enough to feel this indifferent towards.
I can hear the thoughts in my head.
I’m on the brink of making one of the biggest decisions of
my life and surprisingly I’m not too scared. I’m being told I should be, so I’m
doing my little rethinking bit. I’ve been in situations before that I’ve hurt
the person I’ve committed myself to, so I’m wondering if I’m in for a repeat
performance. “Once a cheater, always a cheater”, they say. There’s a certain
thrill in doing the wrong thing, but boy oh boy did I pay dearly for it. There’s
also a certain kind of thrill in knowing someone loves you as much as they do,
that they help you reconsider your feelings about relationships and, when you’re
almost 30, marriage as an institution. I’ve never been the kind that has
dreamed of a wedding and children, so you’ll understand the slight
apprehension. And then there’s the “I’ll never be with another person again”
and I tell myself who are you fooling, there’s nobody lining up for you! Hehe. But
it sure feels awesome around him, I’ll tell you that. Let’s see how it goes.
I can hear the thoughts in my head.
I’m constantly plagued by how unhealthy I am and putting on
weight for reasons I can and cannot explain. The funny part is, I have solutions
to both the situations but I think I’m just not taking it too seriously right
now. The world is gymming, marathon-ing, yoga-ing and here I am scoffing
at one 15 minute jog at Lokhandwala joggers park. Even the junk food doesn’t
taste as great as it did, but do I stop? Women’s Health magazine gives me fancy
headlines and then gives a rather difficult solution – one which involves not
being completely sedentary. Oh well.
I can hear the thoughts in my head.
For now, I think I can do away with making friends or
keeping everyone happy around me by keeping things inside of me. I feel I’m
getting that little aggression back and it’s making me feel alive like I haven’t
in years. I wake up every morning wanting to kick the world in its butt – in a vengeance
sort of way, to prove a point, perhaps a different point each day. I think I’ve
stopped making sense now.
And I think I’ll give this head a rest now. Ciao ciao! (Oh, how I miss Berlin!)
And I think I’ll give this head a rest now. Ciao ciao! (Oh, how I miss Berlin!)

7 comments:
Give or take a few parts, this could have been me talking about my life. I've always felt that odd connect with you which I never could explain, and an odd liking as well. I really really want everything to work out well for you and my stake in it would be that it would give the likes of me/us a little faith that there might still be some good that could come this way. All the best, Archita.
You will do well in whatever you choose to do and find happiness with whoever you choose to be with. Such is my faith. In you. All the best! :)
I am also turning 0 next month. Can artly understand how you feel.
“Once a cheater, always a cheater”, they say. They are seldom right. But this one is a true one, if experience serves me right. Don't trust easy, love can be a blinding and overwhelming. Good luck with your life changing decision.
I have been a silent reader of your blog for long and boy I can relate to you so much. I love the way you write. Keep the posts coming.
Thanks, Choco and all the anonymous readers!
Post a Comment
Now your turn!