The other day I
read a post about a woman who faced crippling sexism at ALL of her workplaces (http://bit.ly/29vmMPa),
bringing her to a crossroads in her life. It was quite shocking and felt unreal
because I’ve been lucky to only face “light/generic sexism”. Haha!
My understanding of
sexism might be limited by my own experiences but I’m not here to cry. I just
want to see how the whole thing works with men and women at the workplace.
From
my understanding - Gender diversity is not in numbers, it is in the intent. I
believe it is ok to hire more women because it motivates men to come to work, I
believe it is ok to hire women in sales roles because they might make better
inroads with male leaders. But only from the perspective of landing the opportunity. (I don’t support
using sex as a weapon or a means to get anywhere in your career). And then if you
do hire these women, giving them their due and not making them feel like you’re
doing them a favor is an integral part of it. Hiring is a two-way street.
I’ve
been very lucky to work for organizations such as Infosys, Hero MotoCorp and
Viacom, where sometimes being a woman might even be an advantage! Never have I
felt that I’m lesser, not
valued, or any different from a male colleague. Not to say that work politics
don’t exist, but at least it isn’t gender motivated and honestly, that’s a bit
of a relief! One less bridge to cross.
I've
always claimed to be only above-average at my work (and it doesn’t always come
from a humble place!) But I’ve been given credit where it’s due more often than
not. I also have more pride than most and don’t take crap from people, so I do
give it back when I’m treated like a doormat. This I say as a person, not just
as a woman.
With respect to my
observations at the workplace – I have seen that men are patient, better
organized, negotiate with tact, have the ability put across a conflicting point
without ruffling feathers and definitely give saner career advice.
And we women have
our work cut out for us. We need to acknowledge that, the same way some of our
boyfriends, brothers and husbands try their best to help us with household
work/parenting, we too have just scratched the surface at our offices and as
much as instant equality seems obvious, a lot of it will still happen with
becoming the best employee we can. When 8 out of every 10 women overperform,
only then the men will recognize it’s not just an exception. And men at
workplaces need to understand that we women do not receive an unspoken
professional training all our lives. We’ve been taught how to be good students,
but not bosses. We work hard, men work smart thus they lead. So, we are also
burning our fingers and learning along the way. We can't apologize for that. We
can’t be men but we can complement
you. We are passionate, driven, don’t take any opportunity for granted and
genuinely want to put in the extra hours to get noticed. Accept that and help
us. Don’t not use swear words when we’re in the room, we swear too! Invite us
for a drink with the boys from work, even if we don’t drink. Don’t take credit
for our work, don’t undermine us during meetings, don’t mock our suggestions.
Don't make fun of us behind our backs and call us weak because we cried at
work. There’s no harm in correcting us, we will swallow our pride and learn.
Lastly, don’t assume things about us, give us a chance. Trust us, it’ll help you.
For the one woman in your team who has taken 6 months off work to take care of
her newborn, there’s a woman in your life who did or will do the same and make
your life easier. It’s not an opportunity to slack off, it may just be a
sacrifice! For all the times your female colleague leaves work early to do some
urgent house work, she is furiously typing on her laptop at midnight while
you’re blissfully asleep after a glass of whiskey. Women in India get paid close to 30%
lesser than men for the same role (according to a recent research conducted by
Monster.com) and you wouldn’t believe the number of women I know who have been
on the verge of a nervous breakdown with the amount of work they do. Women who
are terrified of taking sabbaticals for the fear of being judged and left
behind in the race dominated by men.
Also, allow me to
digress.
A few years ago, I
was working at this one dream organization of mine. It seemed very cool and
chilled out and when I quit, I decided some day I will return there in a better
job role. A few months later a close friend and colleague from there was
sexually harrassed by my former reporting manager and she promptly reported it.
At first the organization protected her and tried to conduct whatever inquiry
they could, despite not having a sexual harassment policy. But eventually, she
was made to feel like she was creating a nuisance by dragging out the issue and
pulling down company morale by constantly urging the seniors to take
stern/legal action. They simply did not want to be bothered. This is a friend
who worked 24X7 and would’ve seen herself working there probably all her life.
But because on the other side was a senior sales guy who brought in the much
needed moolah, he was practically shielded and the issue brushed off after he
denied the allegations. (He removed me from his Facebook soon thereafter, which doesn't exact make him look like an innocent party) After trying to put up a good solo fight, and being
told by her female reporting manager that she probably should take some therapy
because it was affecting her work (!), and months of trying to put her head
down and waiting for some sort of justice, she decided to quit and put the
ordeal behind her. I think the company’s reaction shook her up more than the
harassment itself. One of my favorite places to work
shocked me with a vulgar display of how hollow their diversity is and how male
hierarchy always supersedes something as serious as sexual harassment. I
would like to see their reaction if a female senior were to harass a junior
male. (Though I hope it never happens) Needless to say, I never recommend that
company to anyone now.
We are not
“feminists” because the word sounds cool. We are feminists because we just want
to be treated like you, like ourselves, faultless because of the things handed
to us by nature and nurture.

0 comments:
Post a Comment
Now your turn!