Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lately I've being searching far and wide for new music. Some of the ones on my iPod have been residing there for the past 2-3 years! I think they need to be trashed for more reasons than one -

a) Life has changed
b) Influences have changed
c) This musician needs new inspiration
d) Some songs remind you of times where you don't wanna go again

So I feel it's my moral responsibility to share some of my current favorites. Now these might not be exactly critic friendly and Mr. Existentialism, after reading this, will probably go - Where is that candor piece on coitus, men? - but well, fuck you.

I don't have a particularly favorite genre so here's a mix.

R&B Soul
Jazmine Sullivan - Holding You Down (Goin' In Circles) and Bust Your Windows
This woman has a beautiful subtle-husky voice with emotions sprinkled in sultry sexiness. Holding You Down (Goin' In Circles) is currently in the Billboard Top 100 and if you watch Glee, you must've seen Mercedes do a superbly choreographed cover of Bust Your Windows. Both songs - like a vocal jellyblast in the brain. Get your forks out.

Rihanna - Te Amo
The last time I liked Rihanna was like three years back with Umbrella, though that got old too soon. When you hear (and read the lyrics of) Te Amo you will realize why her latest album is named Rated R. Very earthy and without the annoying (nasal) vocal frills that have been rather characteristic of her lately. Hello sleep time music.

Usher feat. Pitbull- DJ Got Us Fallin In Love
Pitbull reminds me of MICA. Alcohol reminds me of MICA parties. This reminds me of MICA parties. I miss MICA parties. I miss MICA.

Country 
Lady Antebellum - Need You Now
I'd like to thank Air India for introducing me to this song. I remember going home and google searching the lyrics to look for what bloody song it was! Draws out memories, and the boy-girl duet with their respective stories makes it deliciously painful.

Miranda Lambert - White Liar
You'd fall in love with her when you watch the music video. Or you can listen to absolutely any song by her. The honesty in her music makes me hate the genre, that has to have the words 'mama', 'beer' and ol' in every song, a little lesser.

Rock/Alternative
Paramore - Ignorance and Decode
Hayley Williams has that super infectious energy and the skill for simple but clever songwriting. Makes me want to burst out with this in the Delhi Metro! Just the song to get you up and about on lazy winter mornings. Decode is my mobile ringtone, I look forward to getting more phone calls.

Happy listening! Let me know how you liked them.
Have some songs that I can't give a miss? Please share in the comment box.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheapmunks! try it you wont regret it!

Maddy said...

for exploring new music..try radio stations on Itunes..its got hundreds...my current favorite channel is Cove station ....

By the way nice list...m searching for these songs now

maverick said...

Paramore was pretty awesome I must say ! try Wolfmother -Joker n the Thief !

Agent Orange said...

W.I.L.C.O.

Also, thumbs up for Decode.

Atrisa said...

@Anon - Oh Hundum/Say my name? Yeah must get to it soon!

@Maddy - Will surely try :)

@Maverick - Ah Joker and the Thief did the rounds on my pod a year back or so.

@Pimpu - Thanks for introducing me to Paramore :) Never heard of this WILCO, will listen. And also, season 1 of Geetanjali :P

Anonymous said...

Hi Archita,

We don't know each other as I have hit your blog accidentally, so i have decided to remain anonymous. I will be honest - although i did not go thru all your posts, but something in this post has caught my eye. I have been wondering to find a solution for this for long.

'Change' it is called. changes are inevitable, but why does these are so common at individuality level and at the expense of your beloved @ MICA. People leave their long standing counterpart after spending ages together.

Is there something wrong at MICA or am just not being able to keep pace with the MICAn life. My GF ditched me on pretext of freedom, individuality and space. This after nearly 4 longs year of a healthy relation with my parents preparing for our marriage. Even worse is that I have known her since she was a kid as our families are connected.

I fail to understand the changes at MICA - are these gimmicks or fact of the alien world.

I a nutshell - I HATE MICA FOR WHAT IT DID TO ME!!

Atrisa said...

Hello Anon,

Let's face it, relationships are complex! I wish I could tell you that there is only one component that makes a relationship good or bad but that won't be true now, it is?

I will though tell you the pluses of MICA - it really lets you be, and perhaps for the first time in your life you can be exactly what you want to be, do things you've never done before - good and bad both! And I think that might hold true for any B-school.

I was going through a lot of personal shit myself during my time at MICA but strangely because of all that space and time that I got to focus on myself, I think I've become more sorted.

But there is this joke going around at MICA. There is a little park area near one of our canteens that we say can be used as a graveyard for all the relationships that have ended when one of the two people got into MICA!

However maybe it's not a MICA thing, maybe it's not the long-distance, maybe there have been things that were not sorted and piled on, maybe she found somebody else. If somebody doesn't want to be with you, what's the point of having them around right? So I guess it's good riddance. Or maybe she'll realize after some time that this was the wrong decision. Whatever it is, good luck to you.

What good is life without a little complication, eh? ;)

Anonymous said...

speaking chrono-music-ally, I find myself in pretty much the same place as you. And while I'm still on the lookout for 'that-new-playlist' here are my top favorites these days
Astair- Matt Costa, Across the universe (cover)- Fiona Apple, Her Morning Elegance- Oren Lavie (do check out the video on this one),Dropping out of school- brad sucks.
Do extend the list in case you have succeeded in building the playlist

Post a Comment

Now your turn!

 

Copyright 2010 alter native.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.