Friday, September 23, 2011

Nobody's extraordinary
we're all the same
similar moulds with different names
You catch one person in the perfect
another at the worst possible time
some you measure in dollars
others unvalued like dimes.

Everybody's a genius
in their own right
you could have a quiet ambition
just as well be a flamboyant knight
Some get in only a sentence
other more than their designated two cents
so relativity makes some lose
and some win, at each other's expense.

I confess, I'm not extraordinary
I'm cut from the same cloth.
I wake up every morning
to add spices to the same broth.
I have never made any tall claims
I've been rewarded for my goodness
been punished for my share of shame.

I had but one moment of insanity
as against my thousand moments of wise
One day I was at the top of your list
the next I fell in your eyes
I feel sorry for the both of us that you didn't wait to see my genius
and I have to bear the humiliation of being compared to your previous
Why must you be the trigger and I resign to being the bullet?
I only wanted to be the photograph ensconced in your wallet.

I'm just an ordinary genius trying to survive.
And right now I couldn't convince you of anything to save my life.

7 comments:

Shreya said...

The number of times I have wished I could put down my feelings into a poem like yours....

adi said...

Stop reading my mind. Not that it would have come out so well :)

Nikhil Ranjan said...

Dear Archita,

'Hindustani Jabaan' the quarterly flagship magazine of the Hindustani Prachar Sabha, an institute established by Gandhiji for promoting Hindustani i.e. an amalgam of Hindi and Urdu is planning to come out with a special issue on voices from Kashmir and NE states. Would you like to contribute a piece of writing to this special issue in either Hindi or Urdu? If you know some young writers who would be interested in contributing towards this special issue, please let us know. You can write to me on nikhil.r.jha@gmail.com.

Nikhil.

Alexandria Elizabeth said...

I just came across this blog by chance, and I love this. If i was lucky enough to be able to write a poem like this, i would display it to the world :)

Atrisa said...

@Shreya - Oh I wish I could write like you!

@Adi - Awww, thanks =)

@Nikhil - I can barely write in English, let alone Hindi or Urdu. Will spread the word around :)

@Alexandria - Thanks! I have displayed it for the world to see, they just don't know it yet ;)

Anonymous said...

Finally we are the dead body
waiting for the disappointment
No matter what part of the story
just pick up the roses
without any explanation at the wedding that will not be ours

The Unpaid Analyst said...

found out about this blog when I googled MICA, excellent post!

Post a Comment

Now your turn!

 

Copyright 2010 alter native.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.