My love affair with electronics started back in 2006 when I was to get my second cellphone - the Nokia 3250. The "Ooh ah let the music play" phone, remember? The bottom half turned 270 degrees - 90 degrees to transform itself into what looked like a camcorder and 180 degrees into a music player. That TV ad had me enraptured like nothing else before. Also, convincing my parents to get me a phone worth 16k wasn't gonna be easy, so I spent hours and hours at the workplace going through the mobile forums. I did my homework. I infact took to my parents the print outs of the positive feedback I had read on the internet.
Now the thing about falling in love - with anyone or anything - is that once your heart is set on something, rationality can't do shit. I can tell you with certainty that I have contemplated more on what toothbrush to buy than the electronics I've purchased over the years. I saw a Macbook, I had to get it. End of discussion. (Not really, I asked tens of people thousands of questions) Did it cost 50k more than I wanted to spend on a new laptop? Yes, it did. Am I currently typing on it? Yes, I am.
One of the most emotional electronic purchases I ever made was in 2008 - my 4GB iPod Nano Video. After two very pine-filled years from the iPod's launch, I found a person at my office who was selling a brand new iPod for slightly cheaper than the market rate. Within 5 hours I gave myself my first expensive gift. 4 years later that thing still hasn't died on me. I can safely admit that I love that thin piece of hard drive more than I love most humans.
I saw my 2010-purchased MotoDroid for the first time at the Delhi Airport. I felt an instant connection with it, I kid you not! Apart from the fact that its looks appealed to me so greatly, I have this thing...I can't own what the mass population buys. So not buying a Blackberry was an easy decision. And how many people own a Motorola? Last year's piano was another super impulse purchase that I haven't regretted for a second. It justified its cost long long ago.
And as much as I love the joy of a new gadget for myself, what gives me greater happiness is gifting them to people I love most. Back in 2007 when my boyfriend hit CAT out of the park I decided, as a congratulatory gift, to fulfill his wish of many years - owning a chronograph. He barely remembered telling me that so the look on his face was priceless. Later when we broke up and he told me he had stopped wearing that watch, not to mention he had replaced it with a better chrono, a little piece of me wept for that hint of unconditional love I had managed to display.
The funniest was perhaps when I bought a mic for this vocalist junior of mine at MICA (as part of a senior-junior interaction) It wasn't so much out of any love for him, since I barely knew him, it was just that he resembled an asshole I was obsessed with. The jerk & I weren't talking, since he decided to pull a Jerk de Soleil on me, so I found an inexplicable comfort in gifting this junior the microphone, like somehow some sort of positive energy or the fact that I still cared would be communicated to the universe. You get?
Last year I was planning on gifting a Kindle to this guy I was seeing, since he reads extensively. I did my thorough research - reviews, total cost, shipment, gifting options & what not. Well, it didn't quite work out - the Kindle or the guy. I was sort of relieved, not because it would've been the most expensive thing I bought for anyone other than myself but because, for me, gifting electronics comes very close to some sort of a love confession. (Not love as in always romantic love but a very high level of adoration.) I would've been looking for a duvet to hide under had the Kindle not been reciprocated in a much less materialistic way.
Well, there have been other instances but this post has dragged on way too long. Not to mention my extremely heavy eyes. This Mac is so pweeetyyyyyy! =)
One of the most emotional electronic purchases I ever made was in 2008 - my 4GB iPod Nano Video. After two very pine-filled years from the iPod's launch, I found a person at my office who was selling a brand new iPod for slightly cheaper than the market rate. Within 5 hours I gave myself my first expensive gift. 4 years later that thing still hasn't died on me. I can safely admit that I love that thin piece of hard drive more than I love most humans.
I saw my 2010-purchased MotoDroid for the first time at the Delhi Airport. I felt an instant connection with it, I kid you not! Apart from the fact that its looks appealed to me so greatly, I have this thing...I can't own what the mass population buys. So not buying a Blackberry was an easy decision. And how many people own a Motorola? Last year's piano was another super impulse purchase that I haven't regretted for a second. It justified its cost long long ago.
And as much as I love the joy of a new gadget for myself, what gives me greater happiness is gifting them to people I love most. Back in 2007 when my boyfriend hit CAT out of the park I decided, as a congratulatory gift, to fulfill his wish of many years - owning a chronograph. He barely remembered telling me that so the look on his face was priceless. Later when we broke up and he told me he had stopped wearing that watch, not to mention he had replaced it with a better chrono, a little piece of me wept for that hint of unconditional love I had managed to display.
The funniest was perhaps when I bought a mic for this vocalist junior of mine at MICA (as part of a senior-junior interaction) It wasn't so much out of any love for him, since I barely knew him, it was just that he resembled an asshole I was obsessed with. The jerk & I weren't talking, since he decided to pull a Jerk de Soleil on me, so I found an inexplicable comfort in gifting this junior the microphone, like somehow some sort of positive energy or the fact that I still cared would be communicated to the universe. You get?
Last year I was planning on gifting a Kindle to this guy I was seeing, since he reads extensively. I did my thorough research - reviews, total cost, shipment, gifting options & what not. Well, it didn't quite work out - the Kindle or the guy. I was sort of relieved, not because it would've been the most expensive thing I bought for anyone other than myself but because, for me, gifting electronics comes very close to some sort of a love confession. (Not love as in always romantic love but a very high level of adoration.) I would've been looking for a duvet to hide under had the Kindle not been reciprocated in a much less materialistic way.
Well, there have been other instances but this post has dragged on way too long. Not to mention my extremely heavy eyes. This Mac is so pweeetyyyyyy! =)






12 comments:
New electronics...new look???
Oh this I did a few days ago. Seeing the same template for over a year made me want to not blog anymore.
I work for an electronics retail firm (and a big one at that) but my knowledge about all gizmos is zilch. My mobile is the simplest Nokia available around and when I walk into comoany showrooms, I can't recognise most of the stuff put up there
That sounds similar to my job & I ;) Auto sector and me...far from a perfect match.
Absolutely loved the blog. I am not much of gizmo but this one makes me want to buy a new phone I have been longing for so long. I am wanting the 'yay' feeling of spending on a gadget I will love.
Great read!
welcome to the club :D nice nice..creative people must have-macbook :D ..which one did you buy then?
yeh achha hai. neat and clean. koi bhi hawaiyan udate hue traffic signs ke bina.
@Posteritythings - DO IT RIGHT NOW! That kid like joy is the best!
@Ani - Macbook Pro 13 :) Creative people...heheh.
@Nikhil - Template kya? Traffic signs kab the old wale mein? :\
han, template, templatewali aur post teeno hi ;)
You almost sound disappointed!
Not really. It was a kind of a rejoinder one is expected to make just to end the dialogue. Especially when keeping silent would not sound good.
Post a Comment
Now your turn!