I've been a very vehement opposer of marriages or scared of it, whatever you wish to call it. Not that I try and convince people from taking the plunge. Sometimes I genuinely feel happy for some who do, because one can just see them married, like this cousin of mine. I just feel a lot of people get into it for the wrong reasons or under desperate conditions. It's as if all they're looking for is a wedding and a honeymoon, not the marriage. As a person who can't imagine being with the same person all my life without being completely and utterly mad about him every single day for the next 50 years, the thought of a lifetime of loneliness doesn't scare me as much as being chained to a loveless relationship. And if you're left with one kid on the waist and the other holding your hand, and you're kicked to the curb with no income 'cause you left your job to bring up your kids in a justifiable way, I'm sorry woman, you are kinda screwed.
Marriages are hard on women. It's no assumption or a feminist theory that it requires more strength from the woman than the man. I'm not a feminist myself so don't get me wrong. There are women out there who think marriage is going to solve all their problems - parental restrictions, a legal license to have sex (for whosoever who waits till their wedding night these days) and in a way it makes sense. What people refuse to see is that it's not all a bed of roses. For every time you could talk back to your parents for a violated deadline, you need to abide by the rules of your new household (I, by default, assume all in-laws are out to get you. Grrr!) Where your sex life might be exciting in the first 2-3 years, it's bound to get dry and you still have about 45 years of your life, ticking away very slowly while you pack lunch for your husband and child. You can't take that 9PM con-call 'cause you need to get back home to your crying infant, while all the others in office say "She's got such a cool excuse to leave the office early. Why not just quit and take care of her household? Let her be good at something."
Now you'll say, oh Atrisa, you're such an optimist! Hehe. I can't, I just can't see myself meeting the mamas and the chachas and their children and their children's children and remember all their names, present yourself as the perfect wife, perfect mom, perfect daughter-in-law while being the man at the office, rising up the ranks, not just for yourself but also 'cause you want to set an example for everybody who knows you. And your husband changes cities and poof! there goes all your hard work. Let's shift base, let's move to another city, let's find another job, let's start from the bottom. Marriage is all about compromise, yes. How many men do you know who shifted cities/countries because his wife got a better job in another city? I know one. How many women do you know? Hundreds and counting.
How long must we be servile? They say it's all for love, when you're in love you'll do anything. I agree, I'd do the same. I'd shift cities in a heartbeat if a guy asked me to. How is it that a guy never offers to do the same? Why, when we hear that a girl is marrying some guy in the US, we automatically assume she'd have to leave her job and join him there? I would feel so sad for all the times I cried at 2am because I did poorly in some Mock CATs and somehow managed to get through my dream B-school, survived the placement process and it all has to culminate to me leaving my job to take care of my family. The daily trials and tribulations at workplace which made you a stronger, more responsible person, the kind who got a pat on the back at the yearly appraisal...you had a skip in your step on your way back home and told your parents all about it, all just because a few years ago you didn't know where you'd go from your terrible IT job.
Don't get me started on pregnancy. Some women choose to take a sabbatical to see their kid grow only to be asked a year later at a job interview if they "remember anything you did before" But they'll do it. They'll swallow their pride, be honest, get back to work, kick some friggin ass, miss their kid all day, get back home, cook for everyone, be a good lay for the husband and wake up again the next morning at 5. The woman has become a haggard. The husband is bored. She hasn't lost her pregnancy fat, looks like an aunty, and he needs some excitement. He thinks it's ok to have some fun on the side, as long as he doesn't leave his wife.
Sometimes I wonder if my cynicism has been painted on by movies or some real life stories which might just be exceptions but I have been scared of marriage for as long as I can remember. The issue never gained so much importance in my life 'cause I was (am?) young but the whole "marriageable age" thing is making me pee in my pants.
You know what pisses me off the most? Guys assuming that a girl my age would want to get married right away. That any relationship started is for the purpose of marriage. What is wrong with just keeping a boyfriend? OK I admit, we're not at the age where we're like "Yeah, we're just dating casually, let's see where it goes" and yes, I would want to be in a romantic relationship than finding a flurry of one night stands that do nothing for you physically and makes you feel like a slut emotionally, but can't you see the massive difference between a relationship and marriage? What are you blind? Just because I want to have a long telephonic conversation at the end of the day talking about a bad day at work or sharing my hopes and dreams, why is it that my only option at this age is to get married? I'm not ready for responsibility, I'm not ready to make the guy's parents my own, I'm not ready to have a new life growing inside me. If you are, good on you. Do you know how many times I have wanted to be "normal"? Have a husband, tag along with him to all his parties like a trophy, have little identity of my own, crush my dreams to make way for everybody else's or not have any to begin with (OK, I exaggerate) You'll call me weird, selfish, uncooperative, a bad wife, a bad mother, a bad human being, an uncouth woman who spits on everything a woman stands for, a bad apple. Do you know how exhausting it is to explain it first to your own family and now to your own peer group because "it's the right time to get married"? And the more people talk about it, the more you feel you should just give in because god knows you'll be 40 with a stellar career but nobody to share your happiness with. A brand new car with nobody in the front passenger seat.
To tell the truth, I don't really hate the concept of marriage. My dad must be right - there is a reason why people all over the world get married...western society included, given their "progressive thinking" I'm just trying to understand how, magically, people want to dive into this just as you're about to turn 26. Why can't you be ready for it when you're 33? My mom says "Who will marry you when you'd look so old?" Mom, I'll be marrying an "old" guy too no? Who cares for fresh faced wedding pictures on facebook? I might not be as energetic, running around with my kid at 35 as I could've been at 25, but if he'd be loved more at 35 than 25, I don't see how the kid would not have a better life.
So don't look at me with pity when I tell you I'm single, with marriage not even on the distant horizon. Atleast hook me up. Do that. Make me your charity case! :)

35 comments:
I'm not sure if you're not a feminist. It's the thought of equality and not the bra-burning that makes one a feminist...
Good read. I'm on the male side of things. Not easy here either. And yes, I would move.
why not get married have the sex and then do a divorce?
@Gogi - This thought of equality affects half of world's total population. However, when people talk of feminism, they make it sound like its an issue surrounding a minority, which is very sad. I think men are remarkable creatures and I have great respect for the responsibility they have to shoulder too. I'm not asking men for equality, I just think women should treat themselves better.
You'd move? See! You're remarkable already ;)
@Anon - Hehe! That's certainly an option but not one that I would prefer for myself.
I wish i could just forward this blogpost to my parents and then not be killed by them.
first off, love the new theme!
Totally with you on this, except some places where you exaggerate :P
I am pro-marriage, but I really don't get the concept of 'you are 26, time to get married to the next person who walks through that door'. A lonely future maybe scary but like you said a love-less relationship, more so!
In a larger context I hate this production line mentality of our society, be born, learn to walk, talk, go to school, excel, make friends, play sports, take part in extra curriculars, stop everything, give boards, entrance exams, college, MBA, job, marriage... rinse and repeat!
And i thought it was my life to live!
Very well articulated Atrisa hats off! I have seen my cousin gone through the same phase before she got married with whom she wanted to and when she wanted to.
Cheers!
Ankit
Also, what about tables turning? I've always believed that any relationship is a power game, and I'd like to stay on the top of my game for as long as I can, thank you very much! So if I marry him, 5 years down the line I've lost my looks (post baby fat yes?) AND my career's lagging (the raising of the cause of post baby fat) whereas he only gets better looking with age and his career still resembles a tan curve. It takes some kinda woman to have an upper hand post 5-10 years into marriage no? So if things don't work out who'd trade up and who'd have to trade down?
pffft marriage it aint for everyone!
Can you write something from a mans perspective as well .... we are equally scared of SHAADI !!!
I felt the article was too pessimistic...especially the way you painted a very sorry figure for a married working women...it felt as if no ambitious women can be happy if she married...
Things have changed and so have times...There are a lot of examples of men moving too, ..I know many such examples..for eg even in IT ask how many men left/refused onsite and even green card even though they had always dreamed of settling down in US ,because their Wife/would be wife did not like/want to be there ....even if she was a house wife...every IT guys would know one such Man.. ..
Men take pride in successful wife ....
Yes things are not perfect yet but are changing.and changing rapidly...your article might be very right but i felt it is like 10 years late...
You seem to have completely ignored the other side...and painted a very sorry figure where women are the victims and men the criminal..
Though I agree that 26-27 may or may not be a right age to be married for every one...some are ready even at 20 and some at 40..some are never ready .
@Eternal Child - Give it a shot, yes? :P
@Himanshu, Madhur - I'm glad you understand :) I have some real morbid fears, and I've heard so many stories lately that I think they've all painted a picture that I can't seem to get out of my mind. We might think certain times have passed but that might not be the case. I know some people in amazing relationships and god bless them, they're the ones still instilling some sort of hope.
@Ankit - Good on her! That's the way it should be :)
@Anon - Hahaha! Amusing. I personally don't understand the power games bit so don't know how to react to that. But yeah, I've often felt sad that men get better with age while women need botox :P
@Mittal - You write from experience no! How can I write from a man's perspective? :P
While there are parts unique to girls in ur post, there is a lot that applies to both the genders. Same state! Ditto
It's 25. It's the peak age. Post this its all downhill apparently. No one will want me any more. Life. Is. Over.
P.S. I turn 25 this year.
P.P.S. Now you know why i was going to write almost the same thing.
P.P.P.S. It's not just the age. I'm just plain tired of the conversation. And its all just starting.
loneliness sucks. loss of freedom sucks. and you know what sucks more? to stay in either phase for too long. better to make mistakes than to sit restless and refuse to flow.
@Ceeps - Oh yeah? I'll tell you what happens. Let's say the girl doesn't wanna get married, great. But the moment her guy says that he doesn't wanna get married either, she thinks he's not fully committed or there's something wrong with her :P The more I think about it, I realize how contorted our minds are :\
@Shreya - I know, right! Sometimes I get the "let's get this over with" feeling, join the damn club so I can move on with my life :P
@Ajinkya - Tell me about it. It's the friggin itch I tell ya.
Everyone tells me I think too much! So what am I supposed to do in the absence of being able to meet new people? Ask my parents to look for a guy for me? :P It's hilarious! Here we spend years with a single person only to break up with them and ask our parents to find people for us who they deem fit. I can't believe this still happens.
I love your article. I actually went through the rigmarole of leaving my well-paying jobs so that I could relocate with my husband all over Maharashtra. And now I am in Toronto, Canada. I have come here with my husband (how predictable!!), but I am loving it here. Yes, you are right with women only having to change or leave jobs just to be with their husbands. Even husbands should chip in when the time comes. Best part is when your husband has to leave you alone at home, so that he can go on a business trip. He says, why don't you stay with our relatives? That way you will not be alone. I am screaming inside that I want to stay alone, let me be for a month alone, please!!!!! I don't want to stay with any human at least. I would prefer a dog for company. And yes, even I think I have rushed into this institution called marriage. After 10 years of being married, I have realized this. Thankfully, I don't have kids, so I am happy on that aspect. But I do hope (since hope is eternal), that my husband realizes the mentally and physically harrowing time I face everytime we relocate.
Guess was wrongly interpreted on my previous comment-- what i meant on applying to both gender is the fear of marriage, wanting to get married at 35, the nervousness n stuff. Rest on the marriages being hard on women -completely agree.
Hey, I second your thought about not marrying since it basically is nothing but a compromise and it inhibits your path to achieve your true potential (for both boy and girl). In your other post, you mentioned that for selecting a boy, he should have a minimum intelligence level which is perfectly alright but you are taking B-school entrance test clearance as evaluation criteria which ain't fair. What about those guys who don't want to do MBA and stick to core engineering careers, they are no less smart than so-much-revered-over-media MBAs. Moreover, you are neglecting type II error here as there are some candidates who did not deserve to clear CAT etc. but got through due to luck or some other unknown external factor. Anyways, a nice read it was!!
Tschuss....
@Pranouti - It sounds like he does want the best for you. And I do hope he understands all the adjustment one has to make, 'cause I'm sure it can't be easy on him either.
Wah, no kids! You must travel and explore. And you're in Canada, so much to see!
@Ceeps - Hehe! No no I understood what you meant. Your comment just triggered that thought and I felt it was kinda funny :P
@Umesh - LOL, that MBA thing was just in jest. And I have nothing against marriages, only the timing needs to be right.
Totally agree with every point made here. I mean why the hell does a girl slog for years - be it getting into a good college , a god job..if ultimately she has to get tied down into a marriage that puts everything to a zero that she has done till that point?!
In our typical marwadi families..they encourage girls to get best education only to put it in their bio data :p that's what it seems like..because otherwise they are quite uptight about women working after marriage when the guy is earning enough. Its stupidly funny and contradictory.
Its Friday night and I am feeling charitable - lets hook up!! :P
..I guess its tougher when you stay with
your parents thats why I am in Bangalore and they in far away Calcutta. Quite aware of the insane ability their generation has to spring the marriage topic out of nowhere- barely a year elder cousin's marriage coming up next week, so
I'm gonna face the big shooting squad of aunts/ uncles/cousins/sister-in-laws - wish me luck :)
"My dad must be right - there is a reason why people all over the world get married..."
my dad's /punch-line/ is "marriage is a logical progression in life" and some more arguments later "surely you can't be saying everybody in this world is wrong" - those are always fun
phone conversations..
I believe marriage is a sacred insti. We all want to be wih the person we love. Guess times are changing. Men appreciate if women are at par with them. However , there is always a downturn to things. There r stikl guys who would want the female to take a stepback. I completely agree with u on the age bit. There is no age for getting married. The society has made such silly notions which r being followed since time immemorial. Nonetheless, what i feel is that we need a person who understands and is ready to chip in. Its give n take literally n figuratively. And everythig will fall in place. And i am glad tht i hve someone like this in my life.
I love your article even Iam 25 and marriage scares me a lot. But according to me it's due to societal pressure a women gets married coz society is male dominated. If a men marries after 35 it's ok and if a women crosses age of 30 ppl say that the chances of prospective grooms are meagre. On the other hand in western society women start thinking about marriage after 30. In India what they don't realise is that women are excellerating in every damn sphere so obviously it will take time to settle themselves carrier wise. It's nothing but hypocracy
I'm seriously surprised people agreed with me, I was absolutely dreading the comments on this post! The probability of being misunderstood was quite huge, and some people did but it's all part of the game.
I guess marriage is easier to imagine when you're already in a relationship with somebody. Never say never :)
Love the attitude!
Very well put..
But i would still like to believe-Even though the process might be troublesome. the end result would be a "Happily ever after".
We need to take our chances.After all its worth giving a try !
so you would do all those things at 35 instead of 25. is that it ?
sigh. i actually thought u were getting on something there.. for a moment.
@Charu - Umm thanks :)
@Anon - Let's hope so, eh?
@Nishtha - I don't really know about that but I'm as scared of dying all alone as the next person. Is marriage going to help/ruin things, again, I don't know. All I'm scared of right now is that getting married might get in the way of things I've always wanted to do. There's a time and place for everything and either that time won't come or it will at its own pace :)
I'm not here to preach really, so I don't know what you were looking for. Like I said, I'm only voicing my fears :)
agreed with everything...thinking why i did not read some kind of thing like this 20 years back...anyway holding that pressure has left something for me at least..
I like the way you write... and i feel sorry i can't write in that way...
Loved your post... as an almost 27, city bred gal with my share of heart breaks behind, could relate to it completely... its absolutely logical to wait for the right person and to be mentally prepared before taking the plunge... Having said that, wud also admit that this pressure of so called "marriageable age" can get on your nerves at times... nonetheless keep going !!
a factual piece I must say Archita and as a woman who is 27, married to the person she always wanted to marry I agree that the key is in woman knowing self-worth, believing in ourselves and stop feeling sorry for each situation we encounter!
For Indian girls its time to get out of the shadows of their mother's stories of self pity and sacrifices and acknowledge our own cerebral self. Its not about who is better, man or woman it is about coexistence with equal respect.
wow...........
i love the devilish way writing.
i truly appreciate this point of view.
ok.
now let me put in a guy's perspective.
time is changing fast. now we have brave gals. and now we also have sensible guys. guys DO care for the hard work and career of their wife. Guys do leave big offers because the gals advised him not to change the city. Guys do see to it that she is respected and protected in his circle after marriage. And sex is a bilateral process. Both do it and enjoy it. I think this much is enough for the moment.
I have not written this to offend or counter you.
There are common things and there are uncommon things.
Marriage is a struggle for both.
Good guys do exist. Just like good gals.
with regards,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Sorry for late comment
Atrisa, you list the exact reasons I avoided the 'M' word for long. Just because I am happily married now does NOT mean I would recommend to any body else. I got lucky but it would have taken only one variable change to go the other way.
Since you talk about avoiding it, here are the tricks that let me put it off for 6 years
- asked my elder sister to have a kid, devoted myself to pre-natal ante-natal care
- did any PG course and told everyone I was still studying
- joined the 1st suitable study programme which took me abroad ( job posting abraod would have worked too) the key is to not give parents enough time to get you married prior to running ..err going abroad
- Go through Marriage talk and appear to consent, change min.
- Begged Sis to have another kid. Sent Parent abroad for her care (no US visa for unmarried tourists, yeaaa!)
Figure out which of these you can use! ;)
If you do marry, have some ground rules for selecting the guy. Also , have some some ground rules for the marriage itself.(set your own and do NOT discuss with anyone else)
Just a heads up, you will ALWAYS have to explain yourself but then you do want to make your own decisions
Hi. I read this entry of urs by chance. Im 19 years old, and Im absolutely agree with ur viewpoints since they are similar to mine. Thank u.
I agree with Maddy's comment about this article being a little too pessimistic. You do paint quite a sad, sorry figure of a working women. Whilst I understand that you might not be ready for the commitment asked of a married women, I think it is quite unfair for you to think that every married women does not have the courage/strength nor the opportunity to exercise the sort of freedom that a single, independent women has.
Post a Comment
Now your turn!