I've become a saver. Not that I have jars marked "Wedding", "Hot dress" and the likes, but I like to see a certain amount of money in my account for all time (after my education loan has sucked up a third of my pay). That money will always be there - for a house I don't know when I'll rent, a car I may or may not buy, expensive sophisticated audio equipment to propel me in my musical endeavors, a foreign vacation I dare to take in the near future or simply, a rainy day.
Back in 2007, when I was living out of home, I specifically recall seeing a balance of Rs 19 in my salary account, with one whole week to go for my next month's pay. That state of panic is rather difficult to describe. I even thought of asking my then boyfriend for help, for I will never ask my parents. Too much pride, you see. I've never been daddy's little girl swiping his credit card, never had half a trust fund and the only kind of silver spoon I've ever seen is a silver plated one for my meals.
There are days I think - why wasn't I born into a rich family? I was traveling by the Metro today and this girl was talking to her friends saying "My dad is gonna buy me a Chevrolet Beat and Galaxy S3" And here I am, who's family just asked her to contribute a part of her salary to the household (which in no way do I think is unjustified) Moreover, I had to lie to my parents about the cost of the phone I recently bought with my own money because I thought they'll get a heart attack if I didn't.
I constantly worry about money, and it's not because I'm a miser. I worry because I don't ever want to see the day when I have to beg, borrow or steal. Pretty sure I'm not even winning a lottery ever because the ticket might be too expensive :P There is an inexplicable thrill in being able to buy any thing that you want, without looking at the price tag, when you've made the effort to save. I hope you know what I'm talking about :)
Back in 2007, when I was living out of home, I specifically recall seeing a balance of Rs 19 in my salary account, with one whole week to go for my next month's pay. That state of panic is rather difficult to describe. I even thought of asking my then boyfriend for help, for I will never ask my parents. Too much pride, you see. I've never been daddy's little girl swiping his credit card, never had half a trust fund and the only kind of silver spoon I've ever seen is a silver plated one for my meals.
There are days I think - why wasn't I born into a rich family? I was traveling by the Metro today and this girl was talking to her friends saying "My dad is gonna buy me a Chevrolet Beat and Galaxy S3" And here I am, who's family just asked her to contribute a part of her salary to the household (which in no way do I think is unjustified) Moreover, I had to lie to my parents about the cost of the phone I recently bought with my own money because I thought they'll get a heart attack if I didn't.
I constantly worry about money, and it's not because I'm a miser. I worry because I don't ever want to see the day when I have to beg, borrow or steal. Pretty sure I'm not even winning a lottery ever because the ticket might be too expensive :P There is an inexplicable thrill in being able to buy any thing that you want, without looking at the price tag, when you've made the effort to save. I hope you know what I'm talking about :)

8 comments:
Awesome as always.
i can so identify with this....bank account.down to last thousands...and still 6 months to go :P
actually looking fwd for my us tax returns...they have been carefully accounted for in my budget....
i know the feeling. :) but it works out a little different for me. i 'try' to save, but i end up spending. 3 yrs of this job biz and still almost 0 savings. :|
I know.
I saved up for a year, and bought meself 'a girls' best friend' this year for Diwali. The thrill is inexplicable.
SBI Bopal calls me every month, but oh what the hell.
ur best post,,,,,,,,,,hats off for bold n brutal writing.
Savings or no savings, you guys are enjoying so why worry? :)
Buying without looking at the price tag - Sushmita Sen had the same dream!! Everything she did was to fulfill it :P indeed is, 'bout d money!
Read your blohg for the first time . Few things I
1. You need to find better seats in Metro. I've heard stuff from Desi version of crazy monkey sex to voodoo
2. Its great that you're saving just keep a track of festivals, they tend to eat your savings like a fat girl after a clense.
3. There is a sense of joy in knowing that everything you own is bought with your own HARD earned money
Post a Comment
Now your turn!