It’s true what they say – Age is
just a number. The days I feel like life is drowning me in meaningless and
unnecessary complications, this 32 year old has a long chat with a 21 year old
and realizes she can relate more to her/him (or maybe just reminisce about the
simple times, that didn’t seem so simple back in the day!) than to a much-closer
35 year-old.
I wish I had unrestricted access
to the young ‘uns (eeee that sounded so paedophilic), but unfortunately, I have
to deal with the 30+, and more and more the 60+ on a daily basis.
I wish I could plug my ears with
my index fingers, lock myself in a room with loud music and block everything
out like I did when I was 14, but alas! That’s a luxury I no longer have. When
the entire world around me is throwing tantrums, I can’t be the one adding to
the pollution.
Even till about 4 years ago, my
only concern was me. *My* heart is broken, *I* need the best job, *I* deserve a
great partner and brilliant sex. *I* must make a ton of money and spend it.
Now, I find myself thinking about others more than pondering over my own life.
And no, this is not me being magnanimous. This is just my mind being cluttered
and unorganized. So much for my management education! It may even be partly an
effect of getting married and doubling the number of people in my life (this is
not me bitching out marriage btw).
And when I do think of myself, it’s
almost never about striving towards happiness. When you find me deep in
thought, I’m probably thinking about going to a gynaec and a dermat, filing my
tax returns (which is what I came to do here at Starbucks at 8 in the morning
and I’m writing a blog post instead), being sad about my body and thinking how
I need to slim down at least 1 kg before I go for my long-awaited vacation,
being pissed at my parents or in-laws, being pissed at my husband for no reason,
being pissed at my cook, worried that I might be getting migraine like my mom,
worried that I might get diabetes in the future like my mom, worrying that I’ll
become a shit person like my father, worrying that my biological clock is
ticking and the motherhood hormones haven’t kicked in, being worried that I
haven’t taken my cats for their vaccination and questioning whether I love them
at all (I’ve turned into a mother after all!). This is somewhat low season in
my new career (I have such mixed-feelings about the monsoons now), and I’m
spending more time at home these days, worried, irritated, snapping at everyone.
I’ve quit singing for good I think, I’ve quit writing. You will not believe how
incredibly sad I am at the last two. Seriously, I’m losing my mind! I almost don’t
even recognize myself anymore. And that alone is a blog post for another day.
Now everything I do or say has
repercussions. The secrets of my friends are no longer on the lines of ‘a crush
on that boy’, but more ‘I’m cheating on my wife’, so I need to weigh my words
when advising, and absolutely sealing my mouth shut when talking to common
friends. When advising, being absolutely unequivocal or completely ambiguous,
depending on how much you care about being responsible for a decision taken by
another. Calling up vendors who owe me a shit ton of money and trying to
maintain a balance between being nice and being harsh. Friends, family, are all
of a sudden in failed marriages, failed businesses, failed jobs, failed
job-applications, buried in loans, losing loved ones to eventual mortality, and
you’ve to understand their grief without ever having been a participant in it. And even when you're not living it, you end up carrying a piece of it with you anyway.
I cannot take on one more friend, one more family member, one more of me. There are days I feel frozen in my place, just staring outside the window, wondering where to begin. If I stop caring, will their problems get solved? How long do I have to be there as a shoulder? Is there someone worrying about my problems? But wait, are my problems as big as theirs? Am I taking my life lightly? Am I taking it too seriously? How did I have more clarity 10 years ago than I do now? Can I please, for one day, not have to care about the ones I love? Because sometimes, I’m not even sure I really love anyone at all.
I cannot take on one more friend, one more family member, one more of me. There are days I feel frozen in my place, just staring outside the window, wondering where to begin. If I stop caring, will their problems get solved? How long do I have to be there as a shoulder? Is there someone worrying about my problems? But wait, are my problems as big as theirs? Am I taking my life lightly? Am I taking it too seriously? How did I have more clarity 10 years ago than I do now? Can I please, for one day, not have to care about the ones I love? Because sometimes, I’m not even sure I really love anyone at all.
A few years ago, I purposely
disconnected from a close friend of mine. It seemed she consistently created
drama in her life, and always called to offload and ask for advice that she
never took. I noticed that she almost never asked me how *I* was doing. And I’m
not a patient person by any measure but I’m not trying to use that as an excuse.
*Now* she is going through some actual shit and I know I should reach out, but
I have zero inclination. To add to the guilt, my other friends keep asking me
why I’m not there for her. These are the same friends who used to ask me back
in the day how I tolerated her! Who all do I need to be answerable to? Sometimes
I shock myself with my indifference.
As I age, so does everyone around me – getting loaded with their unique set of
issues. As they offload on me, I offload on you, dear reader. The wrinkles on
my face are now more frown lines than smile lines. They’re not proof of the
richness of my life, but the frustrations of the daily. And there’s no FIFO (once an
engineer, always an engineer) happening with the problems either. The pile is
growing and I’ve to be selective of the stresses I take on my fragile little
brain. I’m the person who couldn’t even handle the pressures of the corporate
rigmarole, and EVERYBODY does it. I need to know if I’ll ever be capable of and
be responsible enough for other human beings.
Kids, enjoy that Post Graduation
abroad, your boyfriend dumping you, being the office minion, high
metabolism, hangovers, a head full of thick hair, skin glowing like the
full moon, body like gravity never touched you and everyone around you with their frothy problems.
And elders, could I live in oblivion
a little longer? Yes you. You who is laughing at me from a distance with a “You
think *this* is difficult? Wait till you turn 40!”. Maybe one day I will laugh
at the 32 year-old me. Maybe 42 won’t be as difficult because I’d have
developed a much thicker skin by then! And maybe I’ll understand why 62 isn’t ‘senility’…but
just the new normal.
Maybe age is not just a number, it's a proportion. Or a variable depending on how you're feeling in that moment.
MY GOD, my vacation can’t come
any sooner. :)

4 comments:
~bonecrushinghugs~ <3
My most often repeated phrase to myself nowadays is 'I'm so lost' and then half the times, I cry.
It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that they are going bonkers. Though I suspect that's a little sadistic.
All the best to you and me.
So apt! Very relatable.
This is amazing Seepee :) cute here
Post a Comment
Now your turn!