Thursday, June 16, 2011

If I didn't know about Slutwalk already, I would've thought this article was written by The Onion/ Faking News or the likes.

Aparna Sharma, a Delhi University student, has picked out the skimpiest clothes from her closet especially for June 25. Bravo! Let's give the Delhi men a legitimate reason to stare at us, take high resolution pictures, splash them all over the internet and jerk off to them for all of eternity.

I'm generally not a person to have strong opinions, especially when it comes to these social issues. I have conveniently been avoiding all the corruption hullabaloo too. Not that that's a good thing. I'm just lazy. So don't expect me to side with or have strong dislikes for this Slutwalk, which I don't think should be called Slutwalk majorly 'cause, from what I know, Indians aren't great at sarcasm.

Personally I have little interest in wearing slutty clothes. I will be happy if I can wear shorts or knee-length skirts in this cruel Delhi summer without being stared at. And if you thought it's only the men that do the staring, you are...well...not living in Delhi.

It's not the women silly, the change needs to come from the men. The men need to stand up for us. Not because we're weak and need constant protection, but because they're equally affected by this. When my guy friends from other cities are in town, they are so infuriated by the way Delhi men stare that they almost want to beat them up. (All men have homicidal rage, says Don Delillo in White Noise) Haven't you seen, when a woman tries to react angrily to a man's impositions, the perverts generally enjoy it and repeat their actions? Now you want to parade around showing your lacy underwear? Do we not know Delhi is not safe irrespective of what clothes one wears? Isn't it true though that somewhere we might be triggering the pervert man's desire for flesh because of our barenaked attire? Didn't you drool when John Abraham showed a glimpse of his buttcrack in that Bounce Bounce song in Dostana wearing that oh-so-awesome and gorgeous tiny knickers? Do you drool as much when he's fully clothed?

Don't be stupid and tell me we deserve the right to wear what we want. You want to see hairy bare chested, pot-bellied men parading around the city? Wouldn't you rather want a better law and order system in place?

"Slutty clothes" are expensive, man. I see only the upper class being able to afford them anyway. These women don't walk around on footpaths or take the Metro. Are they seriously subjected to true harassment? "Slutwalk" in Canada happened because of public outrage towards an accusatory remark from a policeman. I'm sorry, but here it just seems like a case of seeking attention. Rebels without a cause, if I may say.

But you know, as long as someone is doing something, I say more power to you. I am terminally ambiguous. If you have a different point of view, maybe I can benefit from it. So tell me what you think.

And girls, if you can slutwalk like The Dolls in Buttons, don't even try. 

8 comments:

SA said...

Finally I have someone who shares the same opinion on this topic..
I couldn't agree more..

I don't understand how this one day thing called 'SlutWALK' would help in uprooting the whole problem.

Prerna Grover said...

From what I understand, I think its not about wearing 'slutty short dresses', it's just about wearing anything you are comfortable in - a skirt and halter top, or a short dress, or even just jeans and a sleeveless top... The problem in Delhi is no matter what you are wearing, people will stare at you and pass lewd comments.. Even women wearing salwar suits are raped and assaulted..
The point they are trying to put across is that the clothes a woman wears doesn't give you a license to assault or molest her..And the perverts are not going to understand this anyway - but I would like to believe that atleast 90% people in society are not perverts but will stay quiet.. This is to awaken those 90% people and warn the other 10% that this kind of behavior will not be accepted.. that street harassment is an offense no matter what the girl is wearing!

moonlite:D said...

agree with u!!
sharing the link on my FB profile..

g2 said...

There is a phrase in Telugu, "Puli ni choosi nakka vaatha pettukoni" which means that "a fox burnt it's skin in order to imitate the tiger". The Indian slut walk is exactly that. A bullshit PR thing and some time pass for the whole nation.

Unknown said...

Very nicely done. Call a spade a spade. Would have been far better if the girls had got their boyfriends to do a "walk" against eve teasing, and worse. Carrying a few baseball bats and wickets would have added a whole new level of persuasion too.

Suruchi said...

very insightful n finally someone agrees that clothes or lack of them, do play a role in attracting attention-especially the wrong one!:-)

Dhanya said...

Slutwalk is a totally lost case. Like you said, most Indians don't get sarcasm and the term itself would most probably be taken in the wrong way :P

Atrisa said...

First of all, thank you all for your comments! I am quite surprised there has been such little criticism to my views :)

@Shilpi - Yeah, aping the west ain't gonna help here. Don't do it 'cause it's cool, do it 'cause it's relevant in the context.

@Prerna - You are absolutely correct. I couldn't have put it in better words myself. Personally I feel the "Slutwalk" is a good way to get people's attention. However, it needs to be appended with a street play or anything else that would communicate the purpose of this event.

@Moonlite - Thank you! Shit, I should've made it a facebook note for more views. Oh well :)

@G2 - Haha! I think the event and the reasons for it itself are not misguided, but the whole thing needs more direction. The idea is great but it shouldn't be reduced to a mere fashion show.

@Akshat - LOL. We're Indians, we believe in peaceful protests remember! :P I just feel the thing could be more thought out than it is right now.

@Suruchi - I'm glad you agree! We *do* dress up provocatively to gain attention right? Now we can't control who all should or should not give us attention!

@Dhanya - Glad you agree! :)

Post a Comment

Now your turn!

 

Copyright 2010 alter native.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.