So I've been reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. [The title is twisted to make it more customized to me - Eat (which I love), Play (the piano) and Love (which I eat)] I had been avoiding it for the longest time (thinking its chic-lit) till it literally landed in my hands one day and I said "Alright you, let's get you over with" FYI, it's not chic-lit. Not in the derogatory sense at least.
And, as luck would have it, I lost my copy at the Delhi airport on my way to Malaysia. After having made a couple of international calls to the Lost and Found department at T3, the man on the other line sounded almost guilty informing me in the most subtle way "It's gone, get over it!" Then you start to romance the loss by seeing metaphors in the situation like "It wasn't meant to be" or "It's a sign" Troubled by the fact that I actually sat through 50 odd pages of a book, and couldn't just let my efforts go to waste, I bought another copy of it and continued to read with Starbucks and Caramel Macchiato as my caffeinated companions.
Now let me get right down to the point. One line (and there are many statements like that) really struck a chord with me. She writes "When you're learning something new, be very patient", talking of her escapades with trying to grasp the Italian language. I had been struggling with one particular song for a month. I played it day and night but I didn't seem to be making any progress and that was no short of terminally frustrating. The day I read this I thought of applying it, calmed myself down and voila! the very next day I played it correctly from start to finish for the very first time. [Oh if you want to see my play and sing, go here! It ain't great by any measure but I hear it's not too shabby after 8 classes. In fact, the piano playing is better than the vocals :( ]
The one thing that I can't seem to have patience with though are men. It's like you have to climb this huge wall and you're told you can't 'cause, you know, it has been cemented well, smoothed out and whitewashed over and so you bang your head against it to get attention or scream out "Hey, somebody there?" or "Is there a hidden window/door here so I can get to the other side?"
However, the guys say that they are incredibly easy to understand. They say what they mean and they mean what they say. The examples they give you: "'Yes' means 'Yes'", "'No' means 'No'", "'I'm hungry' means 'I'm hungry'", "'You're hot' means 'You're hot'", "'You don't look fat in that dress' could either mean 'You don't look fat in that dress' or "Yeah yeah you look fine. Now don't block the TV, can't you see I'm watching the cricket match (read India lose)?'" What the girl is really looking for is anything but monosyllabic answers. If I were a math teacher and you were to write "Final Answer=91" right after the question, I would ask you to be so kind to show me how you got to that conclusion. So yes, a 'Yes' means 'Yes' (thanks for the honesty) but please tell me why, and so on and so forth.
Somehow when I write something that excites me and I scribble a couple of hundred words out here, I can't manage to close the post without sounding like a total retard. So why go against basic nature, I say. Till next time.
And, as luck would have it, I lost my copy at the Delhi airport on my way to Malaysia. After having made a couple of international calls to the Lost and Found department at T3, the man on the other line sounded almost guilty informing me in the most subtle way "It's gone, get over it!" Then you start to romance the loss by seeing metaphors in the situation like "It wasn't meant to be" or "It's a sign" Troubled by the fact that I actually sat through 50 odd pages of a book, and couldn't just let my efforts go to waste, I bought another copy of it and continued to read with Starbucks and Caramel Macchiato as my caffeinated companions.
Now let me get right down to the point. One line (and there are many statements like that) really struck a chord with me. She writes "When you're learning something new, be very patient", talking of her escapades with trying to grasp the Italian language. I had been struggling with one particular song for a month. I played it day and night but I didn't seem to be making any progress and that was no short of terminally frustrating. The day I read this I thought of applying it, calmed myself down and voila! the very next day I played it correctly from start to finish for the very first time. [Oh if you want to see my play and sing, go here! It ain't great by any measure but I hear it's not too shabby after 8 classes. In fact, the piano playing is better than the vocals :( ]
The one thing that I can't seem to have patience with though are men. It's like you have to climb this huge wall and you're told you can't 'cause, you know, it has been cemented well, smoothed out and whitewashed over and so you bang your head against it to get attention or scream out "Hey, somebody there?" or "Is there a hidden window/door here so I can get to the other side?"
However, the guys say that they are incredibly easy to understand. They say what they mean and they mean what they say. The examples they give you: "'Yes' means 'Yes'", "'No' means 'No'", "'I'm hungry' means 'I'm hungry'", "'You're hot' means 'You're hot'", "'You don't look fat in that dress' could either mean 'You don't look fat in that dress' or "Yeah yeah you look fine. Now don't block the TV, can't you see I'm watching the cricket match (read India lose)?'" What the girl is really looking for is anything but monosyllabic answers. If I were a math teacher and you were to write "Final Answer=91" right after the question, I would ask you to be so kind to show me how you got to that conclusion. So yes, a 'Yes' means 'Yes' (thanks for the honesty) but please tell me why, and so on and so forth.
Somehow when I write something that excites me and I scribble a couple of hundred words out here, I can't manage to close the post without sounding like a total retard. So why go against basic nature, I say. Till next time.

7 comments:
" If I were a math teacher and you were to write "Final Answer=91" right after the question, I would ask you to be so kind to show me how you got to that conclusion."
Before anyhing else, 'Aww.'
That is by far the best articulation of this phenomenon in relationships.
And anyway, at-least you get to a couple of hundred words without sounding like a retard.
this place has changed and i kinda like it :)
I like what you wrote about men and i will keep the tips in mind :D
Seems like 4-5 'people' wrote this 6-paragraph post!
Dear Peter Sellers
You're so passé
@Pupu - Zanks :D I'm cute like that.
@Ani - Yeah, you like? Me happy and restless these days, maybe that's reflecting :)
@Peter Sellers' fan (?) - Is that a good or a bad thing?
Depends upon how much pride you take on finding different people inside your head!
A girl playing a piano is always classy.You take it a few notches higher as you sing along .
I like 91. It's a very just number. You get it when you mix the lucky(7) with the unlucky (13).
Hey Girl, listen to this young performer. She's fabulous. Put your YouTube channel too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iIcGNh37hk&feature=share
Post a Comment
Now your turn!