Thursday, December 8, 2011

The other day I was just "reviewing" the men I've been with. And strangely, one thing really stood out...I've never been with a single good-looking guy!

Now now, I don't mean to sound shallow and if you really ask me, my choice in men has already proven I'm not. The truth is that intelligence has completely and utterly masked their below-average looks, and I've been fine with that. Though it's a running joke with my friends that I only date top management school graduates (which is purely coincidental and only partly true), I like to think that the B-school education is just a CV point to guarantee a minimum intelligence-cutoff required to keep me interested. However, this should not ward off potential suitors. I'm not so rigid about B-schools, you could be from the IITs or NLSs of the world too.

Dating somebody purely on the basis of their looks, without having any assurances of intelligence, can put one in a tight spot too. Gauging a person's intelligence takes a little time. And after all that if you realize he is stupid, you will still feel obligated to continue seeing him 'cause by that time you're on slightly friendly terms. Then the whole "You give a finger, he'll take the whole hand" thing will happen. Your hints at withdrawal might even become life-threatening if the guy in question is a Punjabi from West Delhi.

Back in 2003, I had just gone through a break up with my now-ex (second of the seven we had in our 6 years. Yes, I counted) and I found this one guy in my college very attractive. After all the googly-eyeing and texting from my mom's phone, we started seeing each other. It was all very hunky dory till the physical distance went from being a corridor to sitting right next to each other. Then it struck me. Up close, the guy was slightly squint and had bucked teeth. Suddenly his Nick Carter-esque hairstyle looked like a tactic to hide future alopecia. But the ultimate dealbreaker was him saying a casual MBA kar lenge when I asked him about his life ambitions and what he wants to do after completing engineering. But I continued to see him, till 5th February arrived and he slapped me outside my classroom, only to giggle and tell me it was Slap Day.  The threshold had now been broken. The following day saw me breaking up over the internet for the first time in my life. All hail Rebounds. Thankfully the ex was right there, with open arms and no judgment.

But you also don't necessarily want to introduce a meh-looking guy to your friends and family. Let's take the example of my ex. I started crushing on him from the moment I first laid eyes on him. He looked like a free-spirited, fun and genuine person. It was only later that I questioned my reasons to be crushing on a guy who wasn't good looking by any measure. In the past, all my crushes had been no less than heartthrobs and it was no secret that the better looking our future kids were in my head, the harder I was crushing on the guy. So this one confused me to no end. I told myself Perhaps, love *is* blind...Wait! Woah! Is this love? But during our first year together, I was scared to bump into my friends when with him (he doesn't know this). But then again, the prospect of my kids being Newton-like seemed like a much better idea.

Basically, I don't want to have this conversation again with my best buds (not about my ex):
"Thank god you stopped dating the dude, he was funny-looking."
"Not that it would've mattered, but why didn't you say anything before?"
"Well...you seemed really smitten with him for some strange reason"

Look, I'm not asking for a Ranbir Kapoor lookalike (Sigh!). All I ask for is a guy whose face I can hold between my hands and say "You look so good, it hurts" or "Gawwd, you're so hot! Not what you're doing to the bod but just you. I'm going to allow my heart to skip a beat now" And yes, I want the brains too. That's the hygiene factor-cum-prerequisite. Also, a funny bone. No, I'm not asking for three different men.

24 comments:

nidhi said...

hahahaha. slap day! I cant stop laughing.

WomanInLove said...

Funny funny post. And I resonate a lot of it. I have always dated men with whom I fared much better in the looks department. Worked well for me but when it came to introducing them to some friend, I would chicken out

madhur said...

Slap day :O:O

Unaccustomed Mirth said...

Slap Day! Sheesh. Why did I only hear of colleges with Rose Day and all? Makes me not mind the girls-college tag so much :P

Also, in my case all my crushes induced such 'meh' ness after I was over them... 'What in the world was I thinking?!' becoming the standard line every time one fizzled out.

Happy Flippy said...

All I want for christmas is a guy with a brain and looks... I liked the post it desribes my christmas wish this year lol
jk

Whuaat? said...

HAHAHAHAHAHHA! Listennnnn, you're hilarious baba!

BrownPhantom said...

er...hi !

Atrisa said...

@Nidhi, Madhur, Rini - Believe it! In retrospect, so funny!

@WomanInLove - Let's face it, it'd be weird if the guy is the better looking of the two. Besides, it quells the insecurities :P

@Happyflippy - May your dreams come true!

@Whuaat? - Thanks, re!

@BP - Arre, hello! Aap IIT se ho na? Aur woh aapne LSE ki bhi koi degree kharidi hai!

ani_aset said...

wishing Santa is listening to you :)

BrownPhantom said...

IIM walon ne bhi bulaya tha waise. Nahin gaye.
Ab batao, qualify karte hain ya nahin :P ?

Atrisa said...

@Aniruddha - Awwww! Fingers crossed :P

@BP - This screening is more difficult than CAT dude. Sorry rahega. You hath been eliminated on the basis of location of current residence.

BrownPhantom said...

Oh :(. And I used to think that cockroaches are the only problem with my current residence.

Atrisa said...

@BP - Plenty of fish in the Bangalorean sea, no?

BrownPhantom said...

Plenty of cockroaches.

Atrisa said...

Hahaha too much you are! I see pest control hasn't been helping.

Shreya said...

(he doesn't know this)....Well, he does now. And OUCH for him ;)

You really do make me feel better all the time!

Anonymous said...

Ugh. My head hurts... But I just won a buckload of beer for making it past the first two paragraphs of the post "of my choice". So good for me.

You need to do a bit of reflecting, take some time to figure out why the first thing you do when you have a thought is to vomit it out. But I doubt that's going to make a difference. The kind of horseshit that goes into the creation of every post in this blog is merely the result of the lack of any intelligent ingenuity.

Truth be told, you are whiny, annoying and dumb beyond belief. If there's anyone out there who could do better than you, he would. This probably explains your predicament. You aren't any deeper than a finger in a butthole so pull that finger out and face the real world. If a B School grad was any more intelligent than a babu with a singled ruled notebook, then your education would have spoken volumes of your intellectual capability.

Pull that finger out and sniff it for reality check. Over and out.

Anonymous said...

"Your comment will be visible after approval."

Charming. Have faith and post it. Take the negative with a pinch of salt.

Atrisa said...

Hey Anon. This comment definitely got my attention! I may not be the brightest but hey, I never claimed to be one either. Though I do wonder how my "lack of intelligent ingenuity" made you browse through 25 pages of my blog! Perhaps you tried looking for some semblance of intelligence and found none. Fair enough. Your comments are always welcome (though I doubt you'd wanna come back here again!) I might be "dumb, whiny and annoying beyond belief" but sometimes I'm a good sport.

It's a nice winter's night and you already have a beer in hand, why waste it on my blog, eh? And not that it matters much, but it'd be nice to put a name to that beautifully worded comment of yours.

Nikhil Ranjan said...

Nothing less than J. M. Keyness or Richard Feynmans would work for you! They're too independent minded to be born at IITs, IIMs or NLSs. They are their own teachers and masters. Keynes's stand on treatment meted out to Germany by Allied Powers after her defeat in the WWI speaks enough about his independence and foresight. I need not say anything about the exploits of the great physicist Feynman both in the world of Physics and the physical world.

BTW, I feel Anon has seen in you the woman of his dreams but for your avant-garde writing; and he's trying all his tricks to make you conform to the woman of his dreams. BP is an IITian/LSE return but he is no Keynes or Feynman.

Atrisa said...

Haha! Thanks for defending me Nikhil, really sweet of you. I know not who J.M. Keyness and Richard Feynmans are but don't insult them! :P

Hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion. After all they did spend 54 minutes of their life on my insipid-to-the-point-of-annoyance writing that they ain't getting back. This person is not completely unjustified, this blog is meant as an outlet to my whinyness 'cause I don't want to take it out on people around me. I understand why my 230 posts, that make for a uni-dimensional reading, might irk a few.

Pesto Sauce said...

It is never easy to find the right mix - I know of girls who would treasure guys thinking they have everything from looks to brains only to later discover them being douchebags. You are saved in that atleast guys have the right pre degree. And yes you are somewhat right about Punjus from West Delhi

dr viral thakkar said...

hmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,

guys want a sundar sushil sanskari scarlet johanson ( m not talking about 3 ladies. all in one only.)

gals want a tall dark handsome rich intelligent guy ( they surely want it in 1 only)

difficult. reallyyyyyyyyy difficult.

you know what, when the cupid arrow strikes, saare criteria side me raha jate hai.

that is why love is blind. it happens because it happens. there is no explanation for it. ( love is not planned. if it is planned ( i dare say) it is NOT love.

Shreya said...

I just randomly read this again. And slap day?! Really?!?!? :P :P :P

Post a Comment

Now your turn!

 

Copyright 2010 alter native.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.