Monday, May 9, 2011

I've never been overly ambitious. There are things that come naturally to me and I'm grateful for them. Then there are things that don't come naturally to me and I leave them be. Or push myself a little and see where it goes. But never driven enough to be a cut-throat person in personal life or in career (except when someone says "That girl sings as well as you do" IT'S WAR, SISTAH!) I have to admit that my ex-cum-best-friend-from-an-alternate-universe knows best when he says "You're just lazy" I can't contest that. But there is nothing wrong in not wanting to be wedded to your job. If I wish to be mediocre in my career to have a bit of life beyond the corporate four walls, hey that's my call. Don't look down upon me (unless you're too tall in comparison)
 
Since we got talking, I narrated to him my recent fiasco with trying to date. He laughed his loud laugh like I'm the most amusing person in the world and told me that it took such little to completely shattered my image in his eyes; he just recently gave *my* example to this woman who has him on a 6 month probationary dating period and that "I can't believe you've become like all the other girls. What's with the inane "Where is this going? Where do you see us 3 months from now?" questions! Do all women become like this at our age?" After his "I quite identify with that guy" monologue, he finally agreed to agree with me on a tiny speck of something and I could breathe easy.

Lesson for the next time around - Don't Be A Girl.

******************************************************************************

I've maintained that if I were born near the sea, I would've been a complete water baby. A person just needs to say "Rafting in Rishikesh" and my bag packs itself automatically. Although it didn't quite, I found myself in the snake-road scales as soon as the weekend began.

If I were to describe the Saturday that passed, I would be quite accurate in saying the rafting was an out of body experience. If you thought the rapids were exciting, then imagine rough winds, heavy rainfall and hailstorm. Water droplets taking the shape of tiny spears, or like a thousand visits to the doctor to get an injection, all in the same day. The hail shot like darts on our skin, the wounds to be visible till much later. Screaming, shouting, synchronized rowing to save our lives. Right out of the movies! Did I mention I almost drowned? Though I was disappointed my life didn't flash in front of my eyes. All I knew was, in that moment, I didn't want it to be the last.

Ah, the memories! 

******************************************************************************
So the Incubus album got leaked 2 1/2 months before its release date, just when I was about to order my pre-release copy online. Surely not good news for the band, kinda like premature ejaculation if you ask me. I had just started to ride the wave. The brand evangelist in me had much more to rave about and get people around me excited about a band they had never heard or considered listening to.(That's the marketer in me talking)

This album is a complete departure from their previous attempts, and when I say departure I mean they took the first Greyhound out of Los Angeles to the New York airport to catch a flight to Zambia. Can't say I liked it too much. However, you know that time when you're ready to get married and you meet this guy and you think "Hey, I'd have to live with his excessive smoking and drinking but atleast he's a nice guy and earns a lot"? And you meet meet meet till you convince yourself that you've fallen in love with him? Similarly I have If Not Now, When? on repeat on my pod for the past 2 weeks. And I've warmed upto it to quite an extent!

Incase you haven't seen the first single Adolescents, please do. The shadows multiply the Incubus. Such joy.


And my evening song, Isadore.



Listen ok? The post title is taken from "Deep Inside" by Incubus from the album S.C.I.E.N.C.E., inarguably their best album to date.

3 comments:

WomanInLove said...

I agree so much with being mediocre in professional life..it never takes its toll on me as long as I am confortable with what I settled for

R said...

Erm, you want to market a band? Market Villagers. :)

Atrisa said...

:)

Post a Comment

Now your turn!

 

Copyright 2010 alter native.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.