So I was watching The Big Bang Theory on the TV today and it was funny that the character Raj should correlate Newton's Third Law of Motion with the concept of Karma.
//Context
Leonard: I deliberately tried to sabotage Stuart's date with Penny.
Raj: Of course you feel terrible. You completely screwed up your karma, dude.
Sheldon: You don't really believe in that superstition, do you?
Raj: It's not superstition. It's practically Newtonian. For every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction. Leonard pretends to be a friend and acts like a two-faced bitch, therefore, he is reborn as a banana slug. It's actually a very elegant system, you know, what goes around comes around.
//end Context
(I can't remember my HTML/Java syntax so sue me. There's a reason why I left my IT job.)
Where I don't have the balls (ehm) to refute the argument made by the esteemed writers of that show, I felt that for a "science heavy" show, their reasoning for Karma correlation with science seemed more metaphoric than scientific, or just not explained in depth due to paucity of time. And with all due respect I'd like to present my own Karma correlation with science which I came up with about 3 years ago.
Karma and The 1st Law of Thermodynamics
In simple language, the 1st law of thermodynamics states energy can be neither created nor destroyed, only converted from one form to the other.
OK so let's assume (as is all of science) that when you do something good or bad, you dissipate positive or negative energy respectively, into the space. These energies can't be destroyed, so whatever it is that you've done cannot be erased as the energy has made itself an integral part of your environment. And, I'm assuming (again), that for some sort of cosmic balance, you will be the recipient from the same category of energy as you have put out into the universe.
Consequently, its form could change. What you did in the form of verbal communication could come back to you in terms of, let's say, monetary benefits or health problems, depending on the kind of energy you released.
***
If you follow this particular theory in your daily life you'll find yourself a lot more aware of your behavior. Whether it is littering your surroundings to being rude to people to letting go of anger, always keep this at the back of your mind =D Of course, I've made this all up but who cares about a certain thing's origin as long as it's positive, eh?
What lead me to this epiphany? Unfulfilled love, of course. I had to choose between hardcore vengeance or zen and I chose to let Karma do its thing. Intruding in the natural Karma process could lead to aberrations and unnecessary redirection of energy to your own self, unless you're doing something positive.
Aaooo, my head hurts.
//Context
Leonard: I deliberately tried to sabotage Stuart's date with Penny.
Raj: Of course you feel terrible. You completely screwed up your karma, dude.
Sheldon: You don't really believe in that superstition, do you?
Raj: It's not superstition. It's practically Newtonian. For every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction. Leonard pretends to be a friend and acts like a two-faced bitch, therefore, he is reborn as a banana slug. It's actually a very elegant system, you know, what goes around comes around.
//end Context
(I can't remember my HTML/Java syntax so sue me. There's a reason why I left my IT job.)
Where I don't have the balls (ehm) to refute the argument made by the esteemed writers of that show, I felt that for a "science heavy" show, their reasoning for Karma correlation with science seemed more metaphoric than scientific, or just not explained in depth due to paucity of time. And with all due respect I'd like to present my own Karma correlation with science which I came up with about 3 years ago.
Karma and The 1st Law of Thermodynamics
In simple language, the 1st law of thermodynamics states energy can be neither created nor destroyed, only converted from one form to the other.
OK so let's assume (as is all of science) that when you do something good or bad, you dissipate positive or negative energy respectively, into the space. These energies can't be destroyed, so whatever it is that you've done cannot be erased as the energy has made itself an integral part of your environment. And, I'm assuming (again), that for some sort of cosmic balance, you will be the recipient from the same category of energy as you have put out into the universe.
Consequently, its form could change. What you did in the form of verbal communication could come back to you in terms of, let's say, monetary benefits or health problems, depending on the kind of energy you released.
***
If you follow this particular theory in your daily life you'll find yourself a lot more aware of your behavior. Whether it is littering your surroundings to being rude to people to letting go of anger, always keep this at the back of your mind =D Of course, I've made this all up but who cares about a certain thing's origin as long as it's positive, eh?
What lead me to this epiphany? Unfulfilled love, of course. I had to choose between hardcore vengeance or zen and I chose to let Karma do its thing. Intruding in the natural Karma process could lead to aberrations and unnecessary redirection of energy to your own self, unless you're doing something positive.
Aaooo, my head hurts.

5 comments:
As per scriptures there is also the law of balance..
If you do harm to someone,that person gets the chance to do harm to you in the next birth and then in next you again get a chance ....This law of karma keeps on playing untill one of you forgives and does no harm.
Every anger you let go..every chance you miss to hurt someone or do intentional damage is freeing you and the other person from the clutches of that Karma...once you have given up (put an end) to all Karma..You achieve Nirvana ...No Karma calls you back to this earthly life..
Oouchhhh my head hearts too :P
Excellent point made, Seepee.
I have a different theory as compared to Kuthrapalli's: Instant Karma (not that pop album lol). Everytime you think negative, you're anyway limiting and harming your own outlook and aura that reflects in your body language and the way you interact or even the way you feel about yourself inside, which is absurdly chaotic. So, for people who dont care about the next janam, guess what, it's this janam and it's simultaneous. More like uhm, Osmosis? You create vacuum by throwing some negative energy out, and what do you expect will fill it up, a magical vial of positive energy? na, you're taking something out consciously and then sub conciously hitting yourself with it.
My head.
Hmmm...I myself believe in the gist of the energy system you've explained though I admit it never occurred to me to relate it to the law of thermodynamics! Good point :) I'm a firm believer in positive and negative energies and I've even lived by the philosophy of channeling all your energies to a goal if you really want it...because the universe is, after all, complex energy. Yes, in essence it's the theory endorsed by the Alchemist and the Secret :P
Nice theory, sounds true in life situations. :)
"I found an abandoned puppy. I named it Hydrogen."
"Why?"
"It has no family."
Cheers :D
Post a Comment
Now your turn!