Thursday, June 14, 2012

Ever since school I've had this strange fascination with World War II. I've read a considerable amount on it, atleast considerable in my context...some I remember, some I forget, but the essence of it remains the same. I am, till date, trying to find the answer to the question - How was it possible that a human being had such grave inconsideration for another human's life? To think that the value of one human's life is more than the other. The killing of 6 million Jews (the most popular death count) at the hands of Germans, calculated cold-blooded murder, mass murders orchestrated by highly educated men, PhDs playing Gods, innocent people treated like unsold & rotting commodities lying in a warehouse demanding careless disposal.

For years I've wanted to visit Auschwitz in Poland, home to the largest and the most gruesome concentration camps of all, and people always ask me if I feel ok. Why would I want to visit a place with such a terrifying history? I've often wondered about it myself. I came to one conclusion - we are fascinated by destruction. From the Colosseum to Monalisa's crooked smile, we're obsessed with the imperfect, the ruins, the morally or the financially bankrupt. There's a war and bam! there's a museum. A massive ship drowns in its first voyage and we give a tribute to it by making the most successful motion picture ever. Financial institutions crash and umm...ok we all got affected by it. There is something very raw and magnetic about downfalls. Nothing pristine and pure makes us feel more alive than seeing quiet mayhem. The story is so much more richer when you can't see what once was, because something was too perfect to exist, it was an aberration to real life. The reason why I was glued to youtube videos when last year's earthquake + tsunami happened in Japan. Often I imagine deaths or destruction around me. Earthquakes, houses crumbling to the ground, flyovers falling, airplanes nosediving. I can't explain it.

Clean is out, out of the bed look is in. Nobody wants to learn more about a sweet beautiful girl, everyone's attracted to the damaged one with tons of baggage. We get attracted to stuff we don't understand. Make a simple park a labyrinth and suddenly it's got more visitors. We don't understand happiness or relaxation. We constantly chase more responsibilities and attract pain, killing ourselves molecule by molecule just to feel alive. (Isn't it ironic, doncha think?)

I don't understand Hitler. I don't wish to understand his interpretation of Nietzsche but I can't help being baffled either. I can't imagine anybody being so strong headed that they not only not understand or have anybody put some sense into them, they also brainwash others. Tons of movies and documentaries have still not answered my question. How did an entire nation get swayed by the beliefs of one man?

What if I'm wrong? Will I magically agree with his reasoning the moment I step into Auschwitz? What if I'm claiming a moral high ground for the heck of it? I want to go there to discover how I might behave when I'm at the centre of where the basic grain of humanity was exploited day after day after day for years. Will I cry? Why will I cry? Or will I feel nothing? Do I want to go there just to check if I've become cold? Is this sadism? No, I'm not a Jew sympathizer, neither am I an "Aryan" hater. It's not about the literal. It's mostly never about the literal.

14 comments:

Kunj Sanghvi said...

Your best post till date.. Maybe coz the same questions have troubled me over the years.. Hope you get over lost love and write more in this vein :)

Anonymous said...

More accurate desription would be that As a spectator, ppl crave for Drama.
Because that is what is missing in their lives
Most ppl are not fascinated by the tragedy that occured then,
But its the dramatic turn of events then and an unrealistic war.

As you have correctly mentioned and also seems from your post ,
you have a grt appetite for drama.. :)

But only as a spectator....


Its not a shallow thing... its just a missing element of everyones life...

-- The unknown

Anonymous said...

World War II was a farce. History threepeating itself while the USA made hay and the sun forgot to shine.

That said, you nailed it there. Hitler was an artsy fool who never got his way, and what he pretty much condemned an entire nation to an eternal post-war identity crisis, but obviously, and this is obvious because it's true, he wasn't alone. Please to see: Leni Riefenstahl.

Your article closer was a clincher though. +5

Anonymous said...

Stick to lost love.. u r better with it!

Atrisa said...

@Kunj - Ooh thanks! Arre if my blog starts looking all "heartbreak" to you, please assume it's not all about me. I get inspired by other people's lives from time to time :) Writing in first person just makes me live their situation.

@Anon - I guess you're right :)

@ManChild - Triumph of the Will - Leni Riefenstahl. Check.

@Anon - Aye Aye, Anon. Wait, it's MY blog. Hmph!

Madhur said...

The more you think of something more you get insensitive to it,it is not really about getting Cold,else all Doctors would be called cold.
Humans get used to situations, good and also bad ...That is what drives the hunger for more.
Why just hitler, many people believed in the concept of one man being superior to other else how can we explain slavery.
The universe is chaotic in nature and chaos comes naturally to all things..maybe that's why we are more glued to destruction than to creation.

Anyways a very different kind of post on your blog :). And it was good, hope to see your article on TC soon

May i also do some self promotion :p
http://madhurchadha.com/2012/05/27/being-bad-is-the-best-good/

Anonymous said...

hi, interesting questions.I think its because somewhere in us all, below all the layers, deep down resides pure animals, who would love to bring about a certain amount of destruction, to hunt, to bring down a weaker prey, to test strengths. Most of us as a kids love to just kill ants even the black harmless ones, or earthworms for no rhyme or reason and enjoy it. Its years and years of social conditioning, education:formal, informal moral immoral etc. Which has brought us to tie down the beast I guess but then now and then, then and again I am sure it likes to rise up...

But its not just in taking anti nazi stands, Its even when doing a good thing one does wonder if he truly believes in what he is doing or is he she doing so just because it makes him/her appear good.

-G

Anonymous said...

1. Hitler and Nazi's is just an extreme and well documented example of mob mentality and the myth of the other, the enemy. Auschwitz is a symbol of that extreme and that's why it attracts people with some inclination to understand world and history.
2. Destruction in itself ain't attractive enough, it is the fickleness of life, the feeling of being too small too insignificant in larger scheme of things that really attracts us
3. U wont cry looking at Auschwitz, you might cry at the fact that since Auschwitz almost every country in world has seen some kind of genocide and we obviously didn't learn anything from history

You write well, keep writing!

Nikhil Ranjan said...

This post seriously deserves a title, something like The Bystander, The Bystand Murderer, Innocent Killer, etc.

We all are just bystanders. All our life we look at the events and things created by some supreme being - you can name that person for yourself - without having any control over the same. The whole human pursuit of knowledge or happiness, witnessing good things and bad things are just the reflection of the situation / destiny we are all forced into. But I think our greatness would lie in not being influenced negatively by such things and events we are forced to witness.

Hence, this strange fascination of yours to visit Auschwitz is very human. What is more important is whether you would remain the same person or you would become a better person or you would turn into someone like a Nazi perpetrator. Just imagine the predicament of a criminal trial lawyer who every day witnesses the first person account of some of the most heinous crime that some of us perpetrates on fellow beings. How difficult it might be for him to remain composed and rational!

Therefore, the dream of visiting Auschwitz is not such a bad idea in itself. The good or bad would be the kind of person you would choose to become after you have witnessed the horror from the nearest possible viewpoint.

Anu Menon said...

@Atrisa Err... I always thought we were obsessed with perfection, power & being right. The reason why we are obsessing over the flaws is to understand why someone with so much talent would cause destruction or paint an ugly painting(Sorry Monalisa but I wouldn't hang you on my wall even if I could) instead of putting their talent to perfectly good use.

@Anon(4th person): STFUAMYOFB (In case you didn't get it Shut the F#(% up and mind your own F#(%!^@ business)

Atrisa said...

Hey, those are some long comments! Thanks for writing in y'all, I guess it helps shed more light on the issue.

A friend was like "Stop with all this WW nonsense. Look at similar stuff happening in your own country" But it's not just about Auschwitz. Like Anon 4 said it's probably just an extreme case so the mystery is a whole lot more.

@Anu - Hey! Let him/her express their opinion and keep this blog a free space :)

sarso da daag said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apX55mlWEKI&feature=related

Anonymous said...

@atrisa

Coming back to this blog after a long time. Since you are fascinated by this era, suggesting a few fascinating terms/people about which you should read:

1. Albert Speer - Inside The Third Reich
2. Holocaust Denial
3. Joseph Mengele
4. Slayer's song - Angel Of Death
5. White Power Punk Rock Bands
6. Neo-Nazis

Atrisa said...

Thanks Anon. Will try getting my hands on those :)

Post a Comment

Now your turn!

 

Copyright 2010 alter native.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.