Saturday, March 6, 2010

The theatre scene at my college is well, quite fabulous! The people who started it now have their own theatre company Evam. You must’ve heard of them, they have been performing “Five Point Someone” around the country. If you haven’t, you will observe from now on. So the fact that someone as average as me could get a chance to play the lead on our theatre society's 10th anniversary was un-fucking-believable.

Acting is not just awesome ‘cause you get to play someone else for a few minutes, but also ‘cause you get to give to it a little bit of you.

So while I was looking back at all those years of playing myself through someone else’s words, here are the plays I did.

8th grade (1997): The Christmas Carol (?)
I played Ella, the lead guy’s wife. Interestingly I had been offered the role of Fredericka, the maidservant and the role was definitely bigger but the guy playing the lead was my crush at that time and I needed an excuse to spend more time with him so I fought with Liza, the original Ella and the director of the play, that I be offered Ella instead (I said I found that role more like-me as I could not play a docile, coy girl which, and I still stand by it, might actually be true) Since it was rumored that she too had a crush on the same guy, I presumed it was because of that very reason that she tried convincing me against Ella. But hey, I wasn’t the one to give up! I went to my English teacher, begged and pled, and got the role. And when Liza wasn’t watching, I did a Ha Hah! to myself. *evil smile*

9th grade (1998): Some play, who cares
We were 7 and the roles were 6. It was purely bad luck I was absent the day the roles were allotted, so when I came to school the next day I was role-less. (I think it was karma that was playing out in the same lifetime, refer to grade 8) So what did I do? I wrote my part. Bahaha :D In the actual play the robber doesn’t get caught in the end, so I thought why not make my role a catalyst that helps put him behind bars! *shrugging my shoulders*

1st yr Engineering (2002): Oedipus (Hindi)
Ah! The one that got me to BITS Pilani’s Oasis. Ismene was the second daughter of Oedipus. All I remember of my part was that I was wearing a big puffy pink gown with a tiara over my head. Regal! That was fun.

But what happened backstage was even better! Evidently one of the guys in the cast had a thing for me and he was eww-so-creepy. He not only made small talk with me every now and then but also somehow got ways to find me alone so he could creep the hell outta me. During practice sessions Mr. Astrologer would be adamant to read my hand. To make matters worse he suspected I was having a thing with another guy in the troupe and started spreading rumors about us. Now we were not gonna take this face down so Mr. S asked me if I wanted to have some fun with it. Then followed times when I used to pretend sneaking away with Mr. S right after the play practices. It was alright till astrologer guy got violent one day and started kicking and crying. Don’t judge me but boy, was it funny!!! But don’t worry, he did try to make me miserable when he became the director the next year and replaced me from every play during his tenure. Thankfully that opened up some new opportunities for me.

3rd year (2004): Street play on some household issue
I had to hit a guy, as hard as I could. I don’t remember why. Frankly, I don’t care ;)

1st year MICA (Jan 2009): Let’s have Sex!


What we did in-between practice

According to the directors, when the play is called “Let’s have Sex!” my audition is not required. I gave it nevertheless, they laughed, I got the part of the Girl. One of the most random things you will EVER read! However, it has a unique psychological twist at the end when the truth about the characters is revealed.

Won 2nd prize at IIM-A for it. The only problem was telling my parents the name of the play :P

FYI, guys in IIM-A can be as creepy as anywhere else’s. When a guy comes to you three times and says “Let’s have sex eh” with a funky smile, it’s not funny or flattering. Ok a little funny and a little flattering.

2nd year MICA (July 2009): Smoke Scenes


Thank God for mutual refusal of a stage kiss.

51 acts in 10 minutes. If you thought “Let’s have Sex!” was random, you’ve got to read this.

2nd year MICA (Nov-Dec 2009): Silence! The Court is in Session (originally in Marathi “Shantata! Court Chalu Ahe”)



Day two

I had not cut my hair for 6 months ‘cause my director visualized them long. My auditions weren’t going well, I was supremely disheartened. I get a call at 2am to come for my final audition. Call it bad timing - I was attending a party - was semi-drunk and had experimented with the bong for the first time. So when I ended up getting the part I remember bawling in front of my director-cum-friend being so bloody overwhelmed, and not just because the wonderful role etched by Mr. Vijay Tendulkar was so freakishly me but because it came at a time when I desperately needed something to hang onto. And what a fabulous month and a half it was! Though it didn’t seem like it that time - screaming out dialogues out in the nice vast expanse at 5am in the last week of November (then attending classes at 9am), teeth chattering as your head peeped in and out of your thickest jacket synchronized with the timing of your dialogue and muttering abuses under our breath, never mind the rest of the cast never failing to fall asleep during my final 10-minute monologue, I think seeing your face on billboards all over the city, people paying to watch you perform, and to see their laughing/crying faces from the stage as the lights sweep across them every now and then, not to mention the standing ovations and applause(!), the countless hands I shook, the feet I touched, it’s all the high one needs. What was particularly exceptional was that my big fat family minus dog came to our last show in Delhi and according to my ex my dad was pretty dumbfounded after the show and my mom actually cried during my dialogues! Can you imagine! (This apart from the fact that some hot St. Stephens drama guy was asking about me *wink wink*)
We had 4 shows of the same but it was the second in particular when I forgot where Leela Benare ended and I started, where tears had to stop with my final dialogue they just couldn’t. That very moment will stay with me forever.

2nd year MICA (12-13th March 2010): In the Beginning
When the directors told me I will be playing Eve, my instant reaction was to warn them about my oh-not-so-awesome nakedness. Thankfully as it turns out that is not required. And as I leave in a few minutes for practice I realize that this might be the last play I will be performing, as will be the last song I will sing a few days hence on my beloved stage that’s more home to me than anywhere else.

It’s a good thing I’m not scared of change. But what if I don’t want to let go? 
Sigh.

20 comments:

Madhur said...

Ur doing real good...havent seen you perform but i guess you must be doing great....
Ur words painted the picture in my mind and thats beautiful :)

xcalibr said...

Phew - took me a good part of the morn to read your post and then the the scripts of 'Smoke Scenes' & 'Let's have sex' - quite random the last one, although kept me hooked! The part of the cosmic process chain was quite interesting ;) Was fun to imagine you playing the role of the girl..

BrownPhantom said...

Very impressive indeed. You should post videos of your plays too.

I too started my acting career in my 8th standard. The similarity ends there. I lie at the other end of the spectrum. Played the role of a milkman. It was a short cameo with no relevance to the skit, introduced only to allow me to sneak out of class during practice hours.

Eve would be hard to let go, I reckon ?
(I resisted that cliched Shakespeare quote) :)

Atrisa said...

@ Maddy - Thank you. I'm sort of a star here :P I won't be a few days from now :'(

@ Arv - Ah! The cosmic process chain. It was my favorite part of the play. My friends told me when I say that dialogue it's like I'm actually talking to them cuz that's how I talk! Sadly, very sadly, it was cut out from the final play cuz we had to reduce the length of it to match the allowed limit required by the competition. By far one of the funniest things I have done in my life :D

@ BP - Oi! I should be getting Silence! video but considering it's been 3 months since then, it doesn't seem very hopeful :(

Oh milkman! So cute :D I once played a tree in a fancy dress competition in 4th grade. (I won of course) And I was crying about the pollution and someone stole my lungs backstage. Buggers. Who would want dirty cardboard lungs anyway!! I still haven't gotten over it :|

Bunking classes! I always liked that about extra-curriculars ;)

In the play the description of Eve is given as - Attractive...soon to be smart.
I like ;)

BrownPhantom said...

That milkman (rather doodhwala) was corrupt and rode a red Hero Ranger. He mixed water with milk :).

Eve appears even more tempting now ;)

Madhur said...

once a star always a star...ull find ur way to stardom soon in a new way

ani_aset said...

8th grade: thats one smart you haan to find your way out ;)
9thgrade:damn you wrote a role for self in 9th...awesome :)
IIMA-hehe when are you doing the plays in mumbai atrisa? are you guys not doing any plays here?

damn i want to see you perform..you are one hell of a performer...singing..guitar..thatre..awesome atrisa..tell me when you guys are performing here..got any video links of your plays?

Atrisa said...

@ Maddy - Seems you believe it more than I do :)

@ Ani - Yaar we were initially planning to do Silence! in Mumbai but it didn't work out so we went to Delhi instead.

Oh thank you :) Btw, I don't play the guitar, it's my friend Prateek. As of now we don't have the video links to the play. Hopefully we would have the good sense to record the one on the 12th.

ani_aset said...

goodness me you have tears on stage gosh :)..i cudn see the pictures in office since they were blocked...yea do record this time..mumbai has already lost out to see your play..but do try once for mumbai too..prithvi/ncpa should love to have you guys here :D

Atrisa said...

Mumbai has lost nothing! We really wanted to perform at Prithvi but there were no slots available :(

Deepak Gopalakrishnan said...

Very nice! Very nice :)
That pic of you at Sankalp is really something!

Wow. Hawt, singer, actress. And I never asked you out. * hits self *

Anonymous said...

wow!! you surely justify the testosterone tag.

godspeed and someday do let me jump the line and get an autograph!

-Sri

R said...

Ah, so this is where it came from. I know someone who spoke about Let's Have Sex. The title worked way too well eh :)

Atrisa said...

@ Chuck - Aww gee. Don't beat yourself up.

@ Sri - Haha, hope to live up to it continually. Sure, take one now, I might act pricey later 8-)

@ Rohit - Where? Like in general?

Akshat said...

@I'm amazed at how oblivious I was all through college! Congratulations lady, you are quite the queen of the stage :-) kudos

Haddock said...

some memories linger on.

Atrisa said...

@ Akshat - Ah it's never too late ;)

@ Haddock - So it is. So it is.

Unaccustomed Mirth said...

Now I am just stalking you :P
Actually, just wanted to let you know that I watched you perform at India Islamic Centre, Delhi and you were fabulous, to say the least. And I read In The Beginning, the part must have been fun to play, no?

Atrisa said...

@Rini - Haha! I totally stalked you last year, you know, you being being the long time gf of my cutest junior and all ;)

Thank you so much! I heard you came but you had left by the time I came from backstage.
'In the beginning' was the blondest play I've done! So. Much. Fun. :D

Unaccustomed Mirth said...

Eee :D I is flattered. I thought only I stalk people, but this reciprocation is a nice feeling :P

Post a Comment

Now your turn!

 

Copyright 2010 alter native.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.