After watching 15 episodes of Glee in 5 days that the Americans did in 8 months (ha hah!), I seem to have gone through a life altering experience, quite like the time when Star World started airing American Idol with its Season-3, when I used to get all charged up to sing in my room after every episode and my mom used to shout from the kitchen “Don’t play the stereo so loud!” (Ok, so I self-praise. Sue me.)
Now what’s so good about this show? It’s like a broadway musical, just in 40 min weekly episodes! Sometimes it’s too heavily auto-tuned, you just want them to be a little organic and I’ve often wondered why their music teacher never seems to be actually shown teaching them, BUT that is one fine bunch of performers! Quite similar to that movie I have seen a gazillion + 1 times – Sister Act-II, except the cast members are the singers themselves! But for all the people who aren’t very ‘high-schooly’ like me, I’d advise you stay away :)
Why can’t you break out in a song during a conversation, like they do? Why can’t we just sing instead of talking? When angry with a guy for breaking your heart, why can’t you belt out your rendition of “Gives you hell” while pointing fingers in his face ‘cause the guy’s beyond corrigible? It’s more fun! (Except when encountering the melodically challenged) And boy, it feels good! Personally I’m extremely uncomfortable expressing my feelings and completely agree with Neil Diamond when he says “It’s very difficult for me to say ‘I love you’ but to sing ‘I love you’ is easier” You try saying sentimental things to a guy and he starts looking constipated; same thing in a song and he’s eating out of your hands! (Maybe the guy's thinking “If she can sing well, she probably moans well too”) I digress (and stereotype)
The one movie that just knocks my socks off every time I watch it is this wonderful, most unpretentious musical called Once. What the main protagonists could not express to each other or their respective lovers in words, they wrote in songs. Replacement of run-of-the-mill dialogues with stirring songs thus became a natural extension to scenes, filling the gaps between the story, sometimes depicting anger at the hands of betrayal (“Lies”, “Leave”) or sadness of being bereft (“If You Want Me”, “When You’re Mind’s Made Up”) Please don’t miss its soundtrack for the world.
You get where I’m going with this?
I would like to see Glee pick a page from Once's book but it’s all good. There is so much beautiful music out there. I just want people to stop fighting over what music is better and judging each other because of it. Music is after all emotions, whether they are Pantera’s or Justin Bieber’s.

7 comments:
no idea aboiut glee... :D i felt so ogrant while reading your post :D may be i should google for it :D
damn. i've been meaning to watch glee forever. loved this piece. and your deep insight into the masculine inability to digest unsung i love yous.
Hmm..Haven't seen this one.
It isn't that bad when someone blessed with a good voice insists on singing along with the show, eh?
@Rajlakshmi - Yeah give it a shot. The storyline is pretty much high-school, unrequited love et al, but the songs are super! So the entire treatment is so different from what we've seen before.
@Mentalie - Haha personal experience :) I'm sure the guy still didn't get it!
@Choco - Hehe. Everytime I watch American Idol I sigh. And everytime I watch Glee I cry. *bows down*
Maybe the guy's thinking “If she can sing well, she probably moans well too” - lol atrisaaaaa :D
who is justin bieber and why does he keep trending on twitter everyday?
you said it one should not judge people over music, unless its anu malik, them should be taken care of who have been bruised by his music.
you have a good voice atrisa..when are you putting up more audio?
"Glee" sounds new and interesting...Music is after all emotions, whether they are Pantera’s or Justin Bieber’s.Well said!!!
@Ani - I'm sure you know by now who Bieber is :)
Haha @ Anu Malek remark. Bruised by his voice is more like it :)
Audio! You know, I wish I could be making more but my music partners are in Bombay. Now I've started taking music lessons here in Delhi, let's see how that pans out.
@Srinivas - I absolutely love the show. Do try to catch 'Once'.
Post a Comment
Now your turn!