Thursday, April 29, 2010

My earliest memory of crushing on a guy was as a 5 yr old in Baghdad. This cute Arab shepherd probably the same age, wearing his black and white checked keffiyeh, used to pass my house with his goats. I used to religiously sit next to the window and wait for him to come every morning. (Pause for awwws) Then we had to flee the country. Gulf war started. Ah, simple times!

My first real crush was later the same year, but back in India. He was my classmate in school. 

The year was 1990. It was the Annual Day function. All the primary school students were participating in whatever capacity they could. It was quite interesting actually, all of us were accommodated in various fairy tales, where they were not only enacted by us but the costumes were our personal ones, so it was multiple plays as well as a fancy dress competition.

I was playing the part of ‘Mirror’ in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. (Pause for laughs) And ‘he’ was coincidently the Prince. Oh how I hated the girl playing Snow White! And she was a year younger! There wasn't a day I didn’t wish she’d be unable to justify the enigmatic character and was compelled to switch places with me. And when he went up to her and kissed her hand to bring her back to life, it was like a thousand knives strategically stabbed in my heart. To add fuel to fire, he was also participating in ballroom dancing and was partnered with the prettiest girl in my class (we discovered 10 years later that they were crushing on each other then and had recently started dating, which managed to shatter me for a day!)

Anyhoo I tried to contact him through fb back in 2007 with a “Hey! I was in your class in DPS, remember?” He replied “Sorry, but it would really help if you’d put up a picture” (If I show my DP now baby, it would kill you that you don’t remember me!)

How could he not remember the time when we magically happened to be alone once in class in the 5th grade and to kill time he was teaching me how to make chalk back from the chalk powder by mixing water in it and molding them into cylinders? I even remember the anticipation on his face, as he waited for it to dry in the sun. He didn’t remember the time I complained to the teacher about him bringing syringes to class after he had recovered from a critical brain hemorrhage, ‘cause he didn’t know how worried I was and how much I missed him the 15 days he didn’t come to school. Or when he ran around class laughing with my I-card in his hand, making fun of my picture.  

He left for another school after 6th grade and I was heartbroken. I swore I’d never “love” again. (*sniff*  tissues please) However, what followed was a string of crushes. I tried counting a few years back, I realized I just didn’t have enough fingers and toes combined. Did we even think in our time that school crushes could be reciprocated?

My first heartbreak came even before I knew how to subtract by borrowing. It’s funny, though over the years heartbreaks have come in all shapes and sizes, with little or huge complications, the plot pretty much remains the same.

It’s like how Brandon Boyd sings in Smile Lines:

I want you bad!
I want you bad!
I understand why they say 
high school never ends

18 comments:

Shamanth Huddar said...

As much as you made me laugh with "..was like a thousand knives strategically stabbed in my heart." and "If I show my DP now baby, it would kill you that you don’t remember me!",

you leave me sad with - "Did we even think in our time that school crushes could be reciprocated?"

It's a pity, almost inhumane, that you need to be BORN bold, rather fearless, to be able to follow your heart when you're still very young or in a house without any restrictions or limitations :)

Atrisa said...

Why does it leave you sad? I just didn't have any expectations. And I know most of us never told our crushes about we felt about them, it just never occurred to us! Hell, I told my friends as late as 10th grade and they thought it was abnormal that I had already had 3 crushes by then :P

And I took it all out on singing so it kinda worked out :D

ani_aset said...

alle this was so honestly done atrisa hats off. I can relate to it so much, only thing replace all the crushes by teachers since I Std :D. Class teachers to be precise. god bless :) dunno why i said it but god bless :D

Atrisa said...

Hehe. Yeah boys were more into teachers for some reason :) Thanks for the blessings Maharaj :P

Anonymous said...

If you could choose never to have a crush again, would you do it? Does the energy of it outweigh the angst?

Atrisa said...

What's the fun in crushing if your heart doesn't break? :) I'd do it over and over again!

Blunt Edges said...

aren't childhood crushes the cutest ones! sigh!

mentalie said...

ah. crushes :))) i have a crush on a guy at work. he has no idea i'm alive. perfect.

Atrisa said...

@Blunty - Yeah! Most fun :D

@Mentalie - Oh I had one like that from 8-10th grade. He didn't know I existed either. I used to stop breathing every time he passed my way. Once I stepped into a big puddle of water 'cause I couldn't get my eyes off of him. Heehee.

And good luck with the office guy :P

Piyush Aggarwal said...

brilliantly narrated story..loved it! :) i must say with every post i am becoming your fan atrisa. keep blogging!

Atrisa said...

Oh thank you Piyush! That's very encouraging :)

Nothingman said...

Hey Atrisa,
Randomly stumbled here, hope you dont mind. loved this post - brilliant line must say "My first heartbreak came even before I knew how to subtract by borrowing"

Anu Menon said...

i was in kuwait in 1989(was 5 too) and in the rotating restaurant in Kuwait Towers was where i met my first crush.... he was soooooooo sooopa cute :) ol memories :D

Atrisa said...

@Nothingman - Oh thank you :) Stick around, eh?

@Anu - Haha, aren't old memories the best? They hurt then, later they're just funny!

Arshat Chaudhary said...

I love the way you write.. I have been reading your posts since a few days now and I love all of them.. Thank you :)

Atrisa said...

Thank you Arshat! Keep reading I say :)

Unaccustomed Mirth said...

This one is so cute! :) I totally relate to that feeling where people around you thought that you were crazy to have had three crushes by class 10.I definitely had more than 5 :P Crushes are like this nice breeze and they leave you smiling to yourself like an idiot or when your friends tease! :D Is fun!

Shubha said...

Dude, I am still waiting for them crushes :P.

Post a Comment

Now your turn!

 

Copyright 2010 alter native.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.